cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with name.

akaltar

I have tried registering on upwork with my real name: Nagy Máté, but I failed to, as the system doesn't support unicode characters.

Because I think Nagy Mate is a remarkably hilarious and unprofessional name, I didn't want to use it, so I registered with a nickname instead.

The problem arose when trying to set up my bank account, as Upwork requires the bank account holder name to be the same as the account name, even tough they ask for the account holder name when setting up bank transfers.

Now they want to verify my identity(Which I am okay with). But I really don't want to change my name to the unprofessional Nagy Mate.( I would like to change it to my actual name: Nagy Máté) 

Is there anything I can do?

7 REPLIES 7
colettelewis
Community Guru

Yes, there is; Customer services will help you out with this. Submit a request.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

BTW: I think your name is fine. What's hilarious about it?

I was looking for that link for 10 minutes before posting this. Thanks!

If they can't do anything, then I'll just roll with it, but I think its pretty unprofessional, since Mate has a meaning in english.

@Nichola L wrote:

Yes, there is; Customer services will help you out with this. Submit a request.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

BTW: I think your name is fine. What's hilarious about it?

Maybe it's a cultural thing? My legal first name really is Pandora (but I am not Greek), and I've had all sorts of ah...weird reactions to that both as a corporate employee and here on Upwork. I can handle this, and at times its quite funny.

But whose to say if some clients have perhaps though I was not a real person, because of my name.

Edit reason: Typo

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nagy,

Could you please go to your Settings> Contact Info> Edit and try changing your profile name to your real name with unicode characters? Let us know if it works.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria

I tried, and It worked(Says sent for review)

I already opened a request about this. Should I close it, or just add this information?

Am I correct in thinking, that now I'll just have to do the identity verification correctly, and my name will be Nagy Máté and have trasnfers verified?(Assuming no other problems arise of course)

That's correct, Nagy. You'll still need to complete the ID verification. You can still keep the ticket and update it if you run into any issues with your ID verification.

~ Valeria
Upwork

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

So Nagy Máté would, were he not Nagy Máté call'd, retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS