Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problematic client wanting a refund long after the contract has ended

draganchev
Dragana V Member Since: Dec 5, 2020
11 of 17

Thank you a lot!

Like I wrote, it was not a dispute but an invoice for a refund (if that is not one and the same thing; if it is - sorry for my ignorance, I will try better and do the research). 

I tried my best not to be rude - I did not criticize the client and gave my best not to argue with her. 

I think I do qualify for the Upwork payment protection, I did not get any hours removed, I was working on the client's project and I did log time properly (sory for the lots of "I"s). 

It has been over 30 days and the client has managed to send an invoice yesterday. What do I do?

Again, thank you a lot for taking the time to read and answer!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 17

Dragana V wrote:

It has been over 30 days and the client has managed to send an invoice yesterday. What do I do?

It is not an invoice.

It is a request for a refund and the client can send them all she likes, it makes no difference and it is meaningless. They mention the invoice(s) the client wants to have refunded, if any.

Only a dispute yould have caused any involvement and the client is completely out of time for a dispute.

The client can send you more of those "requests for refund" but you don't have to refund and can just say "No". As advised previously, simply write a message saying that as the work was tracked as per Upwork's terms of serviice and all work was handed over, you will not be refunding and leave it at that.

The client can't force you to refund. Those requests (which you call invoices but they're not invoices) are the same as the client saying "Please send me a refund".

draganchev
13 of 17

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read the post and give a suggestion. 

I know that sometimes we should just do what they want even though it is imposible to implement it later on, but here is what happens next - it is always an architect/designer/freelancer to be blamed for not advising them properly even though we did. I wanted to give her the advise that would ease of her own finances and I did everything I could think of to do that and to, possibly, intrigue her to put her trust in me when she starts working with the contractors and engineers.

I thought that the job is over and that I will not have to think of it again but she sent me two invoices (the first one I did not get in time) so now I am not sure if the project is in the past. I don't even know if I should just ignore her, there might be consequences to it that I might not be aware of. Should I be scared?

Thank you, again!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
14 of 17

Dragana V wrote:

Should I be scared?

No, you need not be scared. The contract is closed. The client can't even give any feedback anymore. What you call "invoices" are most likely Upwork refund requests. They are not disputes. It is too late for a dispute.

Respond in a short and professional message that the time was tracked according to Upwork's terms and all worl handed over as requested. State that you will not refund and wish her well.

Then block her.

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 17

This all seems so goofy.

A client hired a freelancer to work for her.

And months later, the client sends the freelancer an "invoice", asking for money?

On what planet does that make sense?

I ate dinner at Village Inn a couple months ago. (I ordered an omelet.) Should I go back there now and deliver a bill to them, and ask them to pay me for the meal?

draganchev
16 of 17

I guess the entitlement and egoism in some people lets them do questionable stuff. Lesson for me to be a bit more carefull when choosing the clients and jobs.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
17 of 17

Dragana V wrote:

I guess the entitlement and egoism in some people lets them do questionable stuff. Lesson for me to be a bit more carefull when choosing the clients and jobs.

Dragana, it sounds like you came up against a client who just doesn't know what she wants and is very disorganized. And I think it's likely she realized she is in over her head when you began asking questions so you could do a good job. And when she doesn't know, and doesn't want to look stupid by asking you to explain further (which would be fine, right, because as experts we should know more than the client), but instead she got defensive and stopped responding and also began a sort of finger pointing. There are ways to de-escalate this, but often it's not worth it. 

But you used Upwork properly so you'll get paid and this client can move on to terrorize someone else. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS