🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Problematic client will no longer answer ...
Page options
mirarts
Community Member

Problematic client will no longer answer messages?

So I have a client I've done a completed job for (the escrow timed out). He was insisting for more (free) work, refused to describe revisions, and now he's gone. I worry I'll get a bad review if he does come back as I politely declined to do free work (obviously). 

Anyway, my question is will it hurt my account/rating or will I lose my payment if I close the contract? Is there anything else I should do??

This was supposed to be an under a week job (and it was) and now it's been a month. I've offered him drastic discounts on future work, been available 24/7 (he messaged me from 12-2am sometimes, only to wait 24 hours to answer after I answered right away), and did revisions quickly (even though all his messages are extremely vague). I've done my best to accommodate and he just kept sending "New designs. More attractive. Put yourself in the customers shoe please." And now he won't answer at all. I just want to be done with it. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Miriah S wrote:

Thanks, yeah, I've been a bit of a pushover on this job (It was more expensive so I wanted to be flexible). I've been paid via the escrow already and yes, it's the same guy. It's a stressful situation but I think I'll just end the contract and block him if that won't affect my score. 

There is no guarantee that it won't affect your score. If he stays gone it won't. If he leaves poor feedback, it will.

But life's too short for clients like that.... I'd just quietly leave the contract sit there for the time being. It does no harm as is...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are not obligated to answer questions or messages sent by freelancers.

And freelancers are not obligated to continue working for clients.

What you are describing is a very dysfunctional client/freelancer relationship. You should try to get out of the situation as quickly and as elegantly as possible.

If the client is actually GONE, then this is a good thing.

It means that if you close the contract yourself, then the client will not leave any negative feedback.

And it means that if there is any escrow money left, then you can submit the work and get paid automatically.

A client being gone has some drawbacks, but also some advantages.

petra_r
Community Member

Miriah S wrote:

I've offered him drastic discounts on future work,

Why would you ever work with that client again? Don't do that!

Miriah S wrote:

been available 24/7 (he messaged me from 12-2am sometimes,

Don't do that either. Don't train clients to expect ridiculous availability. People like that - the more you give the more they demand.

Miriah S wrote:

Anyway, my question is will it hurt my account/rating or will I lose my payment if I close the contract?

Have you been paid anything on that contract? I guess you have as "the escrow timed out" likely means you got paid? In that case just end the contract as the client is not responding anymore anyway.

Is that the client who hired 19 designers and invited 170 people and only one job was completed, with the freelancer leaving rather tense feedback?

mirarts
Community Member

Thanks, yeah, I've been a bit of a pushover on this job (It was more expensive so I wanted to be flexible). I've been paid via the escrow already and yes, it's the same guy. It's a stressful situation but I think I'll just end the contract and block him if that won't affect my score. 

petra_r
Community Member

Miriah S wrote:

There is no guarantee that it won't affect your score. If he stays gone it won't. If he leaves poor feedback, it will.

But life's too short for clients like that.... I'd just quietly leave the contract sit there for the time being. It does no harm as is...

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ugh, how awful! Unfortunately, if he has paid for the work, he does have the option of leaving you a bad review. If the job isn't worth much money (and forgive me, but I checked your profile and it does look like you've been working for extremely low pay), then I would send a polite message saying, "It looks like I'm not a good fit for this job. I apologize for being unable to meet your needs, and suggest that we cancel the project so that I can refund your money." I know that this will be aggravating considering how much time you've spent, but IMO, it's not worth taking a hit to your feedback rating over a low-paid job. Just cut your losses and walk away.

You should also treat this as a learning experience. I would never, never even think about beginning a project if the client is vague about what they want. A detailed brief for graphic design projects is absolutely essential, and if the client can't or won't provide it, and/or if you ask questions and don't get satisfactory responses, then don't accept the project in the first place. 

I certainly wouldn't bend over backwards for a client who expects you to be available 24/7, work for free, and treats you with disrespect. No. Just no.

Yeah, I've been applying for low-cost jobs recently as high-paying jobs typically won't hire without past reviews. This is my first "high-pay" job, though it's not a giant sum I really can't afford to lose the funds as my other job doesn't start for a month. 

I got too excited at the response and jumped in too soon, so that's on me. 

Well, you've got three 5-star reviews now, so it should get easier. Unfortunately there's a lot of competition in the logo design category; perhaps you could choose a specialty (animal illustrations, maybe?). I would advise spending more time on creating an effective profile to set you apart from your competitors, and add more portfolio pieces.

Okay, thanks! I appreciate it!

lysis10
Community Member

If there is one thing I refuse to compromise on, it's my sleep.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths