🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Problematic client
Page options
michalborek
Community Member

Problematic client

Hello! Our current situation is:

1. Client required 2D animation. Her only instructions were "Here is URL to my website, make something creative"
2. We sent her project plan, what would displayed & what would be said on animation. She agreed.
3. After receiving animation done, she requested revision. We made them.
4. Then she requested total change of concept, what forced us to make whole 2D animation from beginning. And now, she did second time the same.

Summing up - she would be getting 3x animation in the price of one + custom drawings. All of that is worth 3x or more, than it is in the contract. If she decide to withdraw contract, we are left with nothing, and she keep all materials we have sent her.

Any solutions? 

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Michal B wrote:

1. Client required 2D animation. Her only instructions were "Here is URL to my website, make something creative"
2. We sent her project plan, what would displayed & what would be said on animation. She agreed.
3. After receiving animation done, she requested revision. We made them.
4. Then she requested total change of concept, what forced us to make whole 2D animation from beginning. And now, she did for the second time the same.

Any solutions? 

Who is "we?"

How many rounds of revision did you agree to when you set up the contract?

If you set no number of revisions it gets sticky.

What you can do is say to the client: "Hi, sure, I can do that, but that would be a different concept altogether. I can get it to you by Monday, and the cost for it would be XXX. Why don't you release the funds for the previous concept, and set up the new milestone, then I'll get right onto it.

Working as a team member. That is why used term "We" despite it was my individual work. 

Well, other way to say "revision" would be "correction". Since creating whole new video might be considered as a "revision", nothing stops me from finding a freelancer to make 30s animation, then tell him I have changed my mind and it should be 90 min long. 

To the point - I have not stated how many revision project will include. Lets assume client refuse to fund it and make another milestone. So we have a dispute. By who will be UpWork standing by? Because I assume they will go throught my conversation with client. 

Michal B wrote:

Well, other way to say "revision" would be "correction". Since creating whole new video might be considered as a "revision", nothing stops me from finding a freelancer to make 30s animation, then tell him I have changed my mind and it should be 90 min long. 

You didn't really manage that contract as well as you could have. You should have nailed down what the client is looking for before ever accepting the contract and specified how many rounds of revisions you include and what they may or may not entail.

Michal B wrote:

Lets assume client refuse to fund it and make another milestone. So we have a dispute. By who will be UpWork standing by? Because I assume they will go throught my conversation with client. 

Upwork will not "side" with anyone. They will try and mediate a compromise or make a non-binding suggestion. If you can't agree, there is only arbitration, which costs each party $ 291.00

You should talk with the client and mke her understand that new concepts mean new milestones. That should have been clear before you agreed to the contract though. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths