🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Professional Liability Insurance (WorldWide)
Page options
sk-andaleeb
Community Member

Professional Liability Insurance (WorldWide)

Hello Everyone, 

Hope you're doing well. Recently one of my existing clients has asked me to sign an independent contractor agreement. As a part of the agreement, they require tax documents and liability insurance. I have already given tax information to Upwork so no problem on that part. But I don't have liability insurance and I can't find any insurance product that provides worldwide coverage. 

I live in Pakistan and I am working with a company in the US. I write for them so let's say something goes wrong, how will I handle legal matters. It's more like a theoretical question. I can't imagine a situation so severe where the client will pay thousands to sue a freelancer in a different continent. However, I wonder if you know about: 

Any insurance product that is legitimate and provides international coverage. Professional liability insurance is available for doctors/lawyers so there must be a product for digital nomads. 

I did check insurance companies in my local city but I couldn't find any legitimate source that will help at a time of need. 

Thank You. 

8 REPLIES 8
tlbp
Community Member

I would weigh whether it is worth working for the client given the difficulties in finding insurance. The client may have difficulty finding anyone who meets their criteria. 

sk-andaleeb
Community Member

You're right and I am wondering about it. For the time being, I don't want to leave this project. It's a reputable company and I have worked with them for a year. Mid-way through the project, they are requesting liability insurance. All other team members of the company are from the US and I am the only one from a different country. 

jr-translation
Community Member

Tanzeel Z wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

Hope you're doing well. Recently one of my existing clients has asked me to sign an independent contractor agreement. As a part of the agreement, they require tax documents and liability insurance. I have already given tax information to Upwork so no problem on that part. But I don't have liability insurance and I can't find any insurance product that provides worldwide coverage. 

I live in Pakistan and I am working with a company in the US. I write for them so let's say something goes wrong, how will I handle legal matters. It's more like a theoretical question. I can't imagine a situation so severe where the client will pay thousands to sue a freelancer in a different continent. However, I wonder if you know about: 

Any insurance product that is legitimate and provides international coverage. Professional liability insurance is available for doctors/lawyers so there must be a product for digital nomads. 

I did check insurance companies in my local city but I couldn't find any legitimate source that will help at a time of need. 

Thank You. 

I just searched "liability insurance" writer and there are more than enough results.

Here is a link to a blog post on Why freelance writers (really) need liability insurance. I have one and personally think it would be great if Upwork would have a way to display it in our profiles apart from mentioning it in our overview.

Hi, Jennifer, 

Yes, I would love to get one for myself. Does your insurance plan provide international coverage? 

Tanzeel Z wrote:

Hi, Jennifer, 

Yes, I would love to get one for myself. Does your insurance plan provide international coverage? 

Yes, as long as I am qualified for the service I provide.

I did check FreelancerUnion but it seems they provide coverage for US residents only. They won't accept my address. I have sent them an email but it will take a while to get a reply. 

Tanzeel, you'll likely need a provider in your own country. Ask an insurance broker.

You could also look into joining an organisation for freelancers in your country; they might have negotiated favourable insurance rates for their members.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members