๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Profile Feedback Exchange anyone? ๐Ÿ™‚
Page options
dbmg
Community Member

Profile Feedback Exchange anyone? ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi fellow Upworkers!

I've read all relevant articles that Upwork showed me.

And now a quick search in the Upwork Community instantly brought up this page ๐Ÿ™‚

https://community.upwork.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false...

๐Ÿ‘€ Who enjoys to exchange/share constructive Profile Feedback here among us Upworkers only?

As is my nature, I will already reply to some of the other requests here when I finish writing this. I saw a few from 2021, so maybe for those it's not too late that they appreciate constructive feedback, will see.

Being new to the FREELANCING side of Upwork, my guess is I have to make my Profile PUBLIC even though for now I only like YOU / other Freelancers to be able to see it. So, I'll make it public after finishing this post.

Either way, a hearty hello to everyone, stay safe, stay healthy!

David

PS: I don't aim to win the Pulitzer price, it's just known that many eyes see more than two. And as for my part, I know I see things others overlook. ๐Ÿ˜‰ This was part of my professional career.

12 REPLIES 12
a_lipsey
Community Member

There is already a thread for this in the New to Upwork subforum. 

People typically want feedback from people who have found success on Upwork, since getting clients on Upwork is different than elsewhere. You have to use different strategies than you would elsewhere. For example, I don't find your headline/title of your profile very useful. This should be optimized based on what clients will search for, not what you want to be unique/standout. 

dbmg
Community Member

Thanks for your tip Amanda. I enjoyed buying services on Elance, but am happy to adapt to how you feel I should post as Freelancer on Upwork.

When I posted, category Freelancer was selectable, and I selected it for good measure: Like you say, getting a chance to get feedback from experienced UPWORK FREELANCERS. Other newbie replies are less helpful, and it's doubtful by common sense that experienced Upworkers spend their time crawling the newbie sub-forum...

I will already go ahead and make the Title Upwork-search friendly as best as I can guess. Thanks again! And stay safe!

David

a_lipsey
Community Member

David B wrote:

Thanks for your tip Amanda. I enjoyed buying services on Elance, but am happy to adapt to how you feel I should post as Freelancer on Upwork.

When I posted, category Freelancer was selectable, and I selected it for good measure: Like you say, getting a chance to get feedback from experienced UPWORK FREELANCERS. Other newbie replies are less helpful, and it's doubtful by common sense that experienced Upworkers spend their time crawling the newbie sub-forum...

I will already go ahead and make the Title Upwork-search friendly as best as I can guess. Thanks again! And stay safe!

David

You're welcome. ๐Ÿ˜‰  Experienced freelancers do read the Newbie forum because we answer questions on it, as you have seen. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Three other suggestions:

1. Remove the quoted testimonials and get real testimonals from former clients. The stuff in quotes is not credible and it just wastes space. Most clients don't care what other clients that can't be verified said about you. 

2. Don't use acronyms that your clients won't know. What is LCS? Spell it out. 

3. Way too long, friend. It's a wall of text, and I think with your wit and personality you could condense it to 2-3 paragraphs and get the point across. Too much and clients' eyes just glaze over and they don't read. 

You're switching roles now to freelancer, so you have to remember that you are not your clients. They don't know what you know, speak the industry language you speak, and they have different ideas about what they want (which may not be what they need - and your job is to sell them what they want but give them what they need). 

Hope that helps. 

dbmg
Community Member

Great, thanks Amanda. Now let's see if actual freelancers welcome feedback exchange, okay?

---

Experienced freelancers don't seek to find answers that don't relate to them, as you have seen. ๐Ÿ˜‰

In fact, MOST responses anywhere here are from "Community Gurus", "Moderators" etc, did you notice?

And having read many responses, I can only guess why Upwork customers seem to avoid the community as best as possible.

1. I did it exactly as Upwork's page of 9 profiles of your "star performers" suggest. More than one profile of the 9 does precisely what I did.

It's naive to even suggest from someone my age and past career before retiring here, to go back in time x years, just to please Upwork or a few doubtful clients, no. No need here.

2. What is LCS? Well, what is Upwork?

Spell it out. Don't use acronyms that your clients won't know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It's the NAME, just that. Yours is Amanda, mine is David.

3. Interesting, thx! Many profiles here that I look at, I wouldn't hire them for LACK of info, I'd move on, of course.

So, I provide info. Nothing is superficial nor duplicate, it's hard and tried info. Plus, it feeds well any search engine: If it's a genuine search engine, not biased towards paid profiles or whatever. We'll soon find out!

Then, if Upwork "needs" it different, I have no reason to resist to adapt. Thanks again.

Now let's see if actual freelancers welcome feedback exchange, okay?

petra_r
Community Member

David B wrote:

2. What is LCS? Well, what is Upwork?

Spell it out. Don't use acronyms that your clients won't know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It's the NAME, just that. Yours is Amanda, mine is David.

So it's a company? You are not allowed to advertise the services of a company on your profile, only yours and yours alone. You also just proved Amanda's point that including it is confusing and that clients who read your profile won't have the faintest notion what you are talking about.

As far as your profile is concerned, I fully agree with Amanda. Waaaaay too long. Too much bla-bla. Lose the "my heart still longs for..." stuff and most of the gimicky icons.

The 24/7 availability once again points at there being more people than just you working through your profile. Again: Verboten!

Not specifically aimed at you, more at the idea itself: As far as "feedback exchange" is concerned, that's a little bit of a game of the blind leading the blind, isn't it?  If people don't see what is wrong with their own profiles, why wouldsomeone trust them to see what is wrong with theirs, and if theirs had been working for me for years, why would they care what someone whose profile isn't up to scratch and/or completely unproven thinks of it?

There are "profile review" threads where experienced freelancers share their ideas with those who ask, which is great and there are endless great tips in such threads. I am referring to the "Review mine and I review yours" idea.

A profile is always as good as its ability to win business at the end of the day. For better or for worse.

dbmg
Community Member

"Great, thanks Amanda. Now let's see if actual freelancers welcome feedback exchange, okay?"

Besides, I don't advertize any company. Nor did I "prove Amanda's point" anywhere, nor did you. We agree that reading is a skill.

What you call "the blind" are actually the customers that pay the staff bills. And it makes clear that you consider me one of "the blind" too. This is yet another thread here that has been killed off instantly in the same ill-natured tone that I had to find here in almost every thread. SO SAD.

Well, note that "the blind" add views that the seeing and "gurus" never see, and have experience that the seeing and gurus never have. And feel no need to "prove" that they are blind. Please just stop.

"Great, thanks Amanda. Now let's see if actual freelancers welcome feedback exchange, okay?"

petra_r
Community Member

Did you actually want any feedback on your profile? 

5ceef239
Community Member

Hi David: BRILLIANT IDEA. My profile is public

fe0b23e8
Community Member

I know it's 2022. Hear me out. Are you still up for the review exchange?

I am ready

Yousaf Y wrote:

I am ready

Well, you can wait. His profile now appears to be under review.
The photos here and on the profile were of two different people.
If you want comments on your profile, better go to:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Get-Profile-Feedback-from-Experienced-Freelancers-on-U...
There you will find freelancers with a lot of experience who can help you.

You are 16, you have to be at least 18 to work on this site.  End of review.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths