cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Name Question

Community Leader
Karen 'K.C.' D Member Since: Dec 11, 2015
1 of 8

I've been on Upwork since it started and Elance long before that. I've always gone by K.C., the initials of my first and middle name, which is what all of my writing work is published under and what most people call me and have since I was a child, including all of my clients. I've had numerous interactions with the Upwork team as well as Elance previously and have never run into problems using K.C. but received an email that my profile name must be my "real" verifable name and not initials.  

I have changed my profile name to Karen 'K.C.' Dermody but I'm not sure if this is okay and have asked support three times - every time they answer using the same TOS paragraph that does not really clarify whether or not that's allowed. They won't say yes or no, and I'm already feeling very uncomfortable having to use a name I don't actually use and doesn't reflect my work. I can't be the only one in this situation - what about William going by Bill, etc. I don't think this is really a black and white situation?

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 8

We're all required to use our real first names and last name initial - I'd rather have initials only, as I'm sure others would (nickname or not), but it's not allowed. I'm sure having K.C. is okay, though I'd probably lose the quotes.

If they do it for one, they have to do it for all, and I don't think that's going to happen. I'm not sure what's to feel "uncomfortable" about. You can ask clients to call you by K.C.

Community Leader
3 of 8

I think the only difference is that K.C. is an actual name as well as being initials. It's what I've been called most of my life and there is a bit of a story behind why I don't like using my actually name that I won't go into, which is one reason is pretty awkward not being able to use it. But you're right I'm sure they won't make an exception - if that's the rules, that's the rules, I'm just trying to comply and I can't seem to get a straight yes or no answer from support. 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 8

Your profile can't be used to point clients to published works that would reveal your full (first and last) name. So, I'm not sure I understand why it matters whether your profile name is the exact same as the one you use for bylines or authorship. 

I doubt that including your nickname in your profile name will be an issue as long as your real name is present as well. 

ETA: Oh! I just viewed your profile. You are breaking one of Upwork's cardinal rules--drop the last name from your summary. 

Community Leader
5 of 8

Wow, that is the first I've heard that in all these years. Most of my clients these days come via referrals or via marketing anyway. Thanks for the heads up, surprised no one at Upwork ever mentioned that, but just removed it. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 8

Hi Karen, 

You may update your name on your account. However, I would like to clarify that changing your name to anything other than a recognized name variation (for example James to Jim) will require ID Verification. Remember that the Upwork Identity Policy requires that you use your own real name on your account. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Leader
7 of 8

Hi Avery, I think you may have misunderstood. I received an email from Upwork asking me to change my name to reflect my real name and I'm trying to figure out if how I have changed it is acceptable. My name is Karen Corinne and I have gone by K.C. most of my life. It's been listed as K.C. since Upwork started and Elance before that. So, is changing it to Karen 'K.C.' Dermody acceptable given that it includes my real name with the name I go by in quotes or does it need to be Karen C. Dermody? 

I've asked support several times and instead of answering I'm sent the TOS paragraph that does not address this. 

Thanks for your assistance.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 8

Hi Karen, 

It looks like the name-change request of "Karen 'K.C." has been approved, and the system is able to recognize it, and should not be a problem. 

The team should reach out if this becomes an issue in the future.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS