🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Profile Not Showing In SERP's (Search Engines...
Page options
alphazomgy
Community Member

Profile Not Showing In SERP's (Search Engines)

Hello,

My Upwork profile no longer appears in search engine results from Google or Bing (or any other search engine.)

I know for a fact it's not an issue with the settings I can control.

Interestingly, you can still find my profile through Upwork's search tool.

So why is this happening?

A few weeks ago my profile was set to private.

I think this may be the reason why my profile is no longer available to search engines.

(Note, the day my profile was set to "private" I got it changed back to "public" that day + I had a client release funds to me that day.)

Before this fiasco happened, my profile always appeared in search results.

My Upwork profile should appear when you search for "Alexander Biega Upwork copywriter" but it doesn't...

I double checked my settings, my profile is set to be "public' and visible to search engines.

Here's my hypothesis: After my profile went from public to private, than back to public, something on Upwork's backend forgot to allow my profile to be visible in search engine results.

Help! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey, so I'm not stalking you or anything lol but I wanted to see if you got indexed. Looks like you did:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&ei=CvXrXJHLMOiMtgXZ3KK4Dw&q=%22alexander+b%22+upwork+copyw...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Upwork has no control over Google. Even Google will tell you it can weeks before something will show up. It also depends on search terms, keywords, blahblah. Upwork has no control over what search terms Google will deem best. What you enter may return nothing. 

lysis10
Community Member

Your profile is indexed, so you're just not ranking. Looks like Quora (at least for me) is stronger in search for the term you listed. Using "copywriting" instead seems to at least get two Upwork links.  

eta: oh I just looked again and your image is associated with another freelancer. Weird. Click the link and it's not your image.

So you're right it's not indexed. If I were you, I'd get a link to your profile somewhere. Maybe link to it on your Quora profile if you can.

Great idea Jennifer, implemented.

I see your Upwork profile URL has "/fl/jenniferm" on it.

Is that because you have a paid membership?

Cheers

Alexander B wrote:

Great idea Jennifer, implemented.

I see your Upwork profile URL has "/fl/jenniferm" on it.

Is that because you have a paid membership?

Cheers

Yep! You get customized URL with the premium membership.

Hey, so I'm not stalking you or anything lol but I wanted to see if you got indexed. Looks like you did:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&ei=CvXrXJHLMOiMtgXZ3KK4Dw&q=%22alexander+b%22+upwork+copyw...

Lol no worries! 

I deeply appreciate you going the extra mile to help me here.

And with that said, we've solved the problem.

My profile isn't indexed anymore because only the first letter of my last name is showing to the search engines. (Under profile settings, there is a "search engine privacy" area where this applies.) 

I think when my profile got set to private by Upwork, they also changed that setting. I'm not sure...

I'll try to experiment to see if setting my last name to show helps.

If not, I'll buy the membership because I know the custom URL will help.

PS: Ironically, this forum thread ranks pretty high in google when you search my name lol

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths