cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Picture Dilemma

Baron R Member Since: Mar 25, 2017
1 of 11

Hello,

I am new to Upwork, and freelancing online in general. I was trying to create my profile and the description says that I cannot use a logo or anything else other than my actual picture for my profile.

Is it a deal-breaker for getting my profile accepted? Ideally I would like to put up my logo or others on it due to many reasons.

Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Hi Baron,

You profile portrait must be a clear, headshot-style photo. Sunglasses, other individuals, logos, or photos of anything other than your face are not allowed. This link may also be helpful. https://www.upwork.com/blog/2014/10/how-to-guide-perfect-profile-picture/

Hope this helps!

Lanie M
Untitled
Nathan B Member Since: Jul 29, 2019
3 of 11

Hi there. I'm wearing a hat in my profile picture. My face is clearly shown.

It seems to have accepted the upload, but won't seem to show up on my dashboard.

Help please.

Thanks

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
4 of 11

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that your profile picture was accepted. Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or using a different browser? Let us know if you continue experiencing this issue.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
5 of 11

Nice Pic, Tony, but I thought you got whacked while returning from the bathroom... 

6 of 11

Ha ha Smiley Happy, I staged the whole thing so I could make an awesome comeback later... and guess what I'm Back!

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
7 of 11

Personally as a client I never felt the need to verify whether the person is same as he claims.

However There are thousands of fake freelancers.They fake n number of things including their skills, experience, location, languge proficiency and pic.

Needless to say there are equally fraud and fake clients too.

When a fraud happens it reduces confidence in market place. It is not good for clients and not good for honest and professional freelancers, who take pride in their work.

From Upworks point of view and in our common interest in keeping the platform free of unscruplous elements, transperancy seems to be the only way out.

I understand it may cause some individual concerns and problems, but if upwork tries to address each individual grievance,it will never be able to have a uniform guidiline.

8 of 11

Thanks for the detailed overview!

I understand and appreciate the points you make, but at the same time, I'm not a full-time freelancer, you could say I'm just looking to wet my feet and figure out if it's suitable for me.

Specifically I'm concerned how this might effect my current and future employment prospects, and other implications. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle it? I wouldn't mind putting up my opensource work or other projects to mitigate some of the fraud concerns.

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
9 of 11

I used to see profiles of freelancers without photo. Unless the rules have changed,you can probably go without a pic also .Though I am not sure.Moderators  will  be able to tell.

But if you are  in general uncomfortable with upwork doing a variety of identity check and collecting information about you, then you need to rethink about working here.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 11

Baron, a photo of Tony Soprano will get your account suspended, if not permanently banned. So only option for you would be omit the photo. You may have a hard time getting approved without one, but if you provide everything else, maybe they'll approve it. Logos, however, are most definitely not permitted for individual freelancers.