cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Pictures

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
1 of 19

Could we please border profile pictures with a square rather than a circle? 

Cheers,

Lyam

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 19
Sometimes there is a difference between being "able to do something"... And "should do something."

Circle-framed photos belong in the first category.
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
3 of 19

http://www.vanseodesign.com/web-design/visual-grammar-shapes/

If what's told in this article is true... we, as programmers, should have square clipped profiles, and you, writters, circle clipped pictures.

Spoiler

Circles have no beginning or end. They represent the eternal whole and in every culture are an archetypical form representing the sun, the earth, the moon, the universe, and other celestial objects between. Circles are used to suggest familiar objects such as wheels, balls, many kinds of fruit. They suggested well-roundedness and completeness.

Circles have free movement. They can roll. Shading and lines can enhance this sense of movement in circles. Circles are graceful and their curves are seen as feminine. They are warm, comforting and give a sense of sensuality and love. Their movement suggests energy and power. Their completeness suggests the infinite, unity, and harmony.

Circles protect, they endure, they restrict. They confine what’s within and keep things out. They offer safety and connection. Circles suggests community, integrity, and perfection.

Because they are less common in design they work well to attract attention, provide emphasis, and set things apart.

Spoiler

Squares and rectangles are stable. They’re familiar and trusted shapes and suggest honesty. They have right angles and represent order, mathematics, rationality, and formality. They are seen as earthbound. Rectangles are the most common geometric shape encountered. The majority of text we read is set in rectangles or squares.

Squares and rectangles suggest conformity, peacefulness, solidity, security, and equality. Their familiarity and stability, along with their commonness can seem boring. They are generally not attention getters, but can be tilted to add an unexpected twist. Think of web pages that tilts framed images to help them stand out.

Every element on a web page is defined by a rectangle according to the css box model. Web pages are rectangles made up of smaller rectangles and squares.

In Buddhist symbolism a square (earthbound) inside a circle (eternal whole) represents the relationship between the human and the divine.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
4 of 19

Hi Lyam,

Thank you for asking politely. I appreciate your fondness of squares, but we are rather content with the circles. I personally like what Cristian said about circles being connected with community and they also suggest unity, and harmony Smiley Happy.

-Lena

Untitled
Community Guru
5 of 19

Upwork saves an estimated $139 million per year in data transmission charges by cropping the corners off the profile photos, making for a smaller image file.

Community Guru
6 of 19

re: "Upwork saves an estimated $139 million per year in data transmission charges by cropping the corners off the profile photos, making for a smaller image file."

I just made that up, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

Community Guru
7 of 19

@Preston

That does sound good...and real! Conspiracy brewing. 

@Lena

I'm deeply saddened by your response. I thought one freelancer's suggestion would be enough. I don't care about unity, I just want a square! Perhaps meet half way and settle on a hexagon? Smiley Sad

Ace Contributor
Ray C Member Since: Apr 10, 2009
8 of 19

Then how about not distorting the photos that are IN the circles?

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 19

@Ray C wrote:

Then how about not distorting the photos that are IN the circles?

My sentiment exactly Ray. I would really like my head not to looked squished Smiley Tongue My picture makes me look like I have a big long head. Although I do look slimmer he he

Community Guru
10 of 19

I completely agree. In real like I look like Brad Pitt crossed with Mr Grey. Not happy!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS