Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile View Drop in Stats

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
61 of 222

I agree Nichola, that's why I said that the possibilities of choice should be better specified, that there is no need to pay to find the best classified ones, only who wants to filter "only to them" will have to do it.
I do not know if I explain myself very well Smiley Happy

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
62 of 222
Maria T. wrote:

I agree Nichola, that's why I said that the possibilities of choice should be better specified, that there is no need to pay to find the best classified ones, only who wants to filter "only to them" will have to do it.
I do not know if I explain myself very well Smiley Happy

I already explained it, Maria ... they need to add "includes TR and RT" after the 90%+.

And they should also add the word "Only" before TR and RT.  It's called being truthful ... something Upwork seems to have a hard time doing these days.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
63 of 222

While I overall agree with Petra's point about the 90%+ search, the question is why then does UW feel the need to create a separate filter and feel it's useful enough to make it a paid feature? Following, why would UW charge for a self-service feature that can reduce the friction of putting buyer and seller together which in the end is how UW makes money?

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
64 of 222

Nichola L wrote:

Petra R wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure what the fuss is about.

If a client searches without a JSS filter, he'll find top rated freelancers

If a client searches with a JSS filter 90% +, he'll find top rated freelancers

The "top rated" filter just eliminates the  90% + that are not top rated yet.

It's not as if any kind of search excludes top rated freelancers.

The majority of freelancers with a JSS are 90% plus anyway...

But what is not clear is that it would seem that clients may not search top-rated freelancers unless they have paid the premium. So if a client wants a top-rated freelancer they have to pay. This what I understood from Scott's screen shot. 

It is clear from Valeria's explanation: If a client wants a top-rated freelancer they do not have to pay.

However, Valeria's explanation is nowhere in sight on the screen where the client is having a Top Rated filter dangled in front of them, and has to make a decision about committing to a program of dubious value. Moreover, if they bite and then repent, they may find themselves operating under the new "Basic" membership; long-term clients, depending on the frequency of their contracts, may find themselves bound by entirely new terms—effectively punished for being tempted by Upwork's specious blandishment.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
65 of 222

My Profile Views graph has just changed again. I've now seen at least 4 different versions of my views history for the last few weeks. This rewriting of history seems Orwellian!

mtngigi
Community Guru
66 of 222

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Petra R wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure what the fuss is about.

If a client searches without a JSS filter, he'll find top rated freelancers

If a client searches with a JSS filter 90% +, he'll find top rated freelancers

The "top rated" filter just eliminates the  90% + that are not top rated yet.

It's not as if any kind of search excludes top rated freelancers.

The majority of freelancers with a JSS are 90% plus anyway...

But what is not clear is that it would seem that clients may not search top-rated freelancers unless they have paid the premium. So if a client wants a top-rated freelancer they have to pay. This what I understood from Scott's screen shot. 

It is clear from Valeria's explanation: If a client wants a top-rated freelancer they do not have to pay.

However, Valeria's explanation is nowhere in sight on the screen where the client is having a Top Rated filter dangled in front of them, and has to make a decision about committing to a program of dubious value. Moreover, if they bite and then repent, they may find themselves operating under the new "Basic" membership; long-term clients, depending on the frequency of their contracts, may find themselves bound by entirely new terms—effectively punished for being tempted by Upwork's specious blandishment.

"specious blandishment"  -  Love it ... that's a perfect description of what clients are being offered.  

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
67 of 222

Virginia F wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

"specious blandishment"  -  Love it ... that's a perfect description of what clients are being offered.  

Just a sec, I'll go find an English to English interpreter.

mtngigi
Community Guru
68 of 222

Here you go, Baris:

specious |ˈspē sh əs|
adjective
superficially plausible, but actually wrong : a specious argument.
Misleading in appearance, esp. misleadingly attractive.

bland·ish·ment | ˈblandishmənt|
noun
blandishment; plural noun: blandishments
A flattering or pleasing statement or action used to persuade someone gently to do something.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
69 of 222

TIL 2 new words!  I don't remember them being on the GRE either. Smiley Very Happy

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
70 of 222

I've actually never seen those two words used together before.  Double kudos!

ETA:  Douglas Michael wins the internet today!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS