🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Profile not appearing in search for exact phr...
Page options
a-j-bull
Community Member

Profile not appearing in search for exact phrase matching my specialization

Can anyone explain this?

9 REPLIES 9
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Adam,

I will check this with our team and once I have more information I will follow up here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Adam,

Goran and I looked into it further and can confirm that your profile comes up in search. Below is an example search I ran using the title of your profile. Note that I had to add some filters to my search as there are a lot of profiles that match the same search query.

kochubei_valeria_0-1636996516162.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Yes, but..

My Smartsheet profile doesn't appear in a very limited field.

If you enter "smartsheet expert" as an exact search you get 3 pages of results and I'm not there.

Regards,

Adam.

tlbp
Community Member

Adam B wrote:

Yes, but..

My Smartsheet profile doesn't appear in a very limited field.

If you enter "smartsheet expert" as an exact search you get 3 pages of results and I'm not there.

Regards,

Adam.

Upwork profile search doesn't work like a web browser search. That is probably the only explanation you are going to get. There are posts on the forums almost every day from someone who searched for themselves and is unhappy with the results. 

If I were to guess, I would say the algorithm may not give much weight to self-selected keywords because freelancers would then try to use keyword stuffing strategies to get their profiles surfaced more often. 

a-j-bull
Community Member

Thanks for your input Tonya,

But you would expect that if you search for the exact title of your specialization as a exact phrase search and there were only 3 pages of results you would expect to see yourself there. Even if it was at the bottom of the list.

If you dont mind, I'm getting actual and useful responses from the folks at Upwork and I'll wait for their replies.

Have a nice day.

Adam,

It sounds like you're referring to one of your Specialized Profiles. Specialized Profiles help clients discover you in search when they look for freelancers who work in a specific category. When the client runs a search and filters it by a  specific category - Admin Support - like I did below, they'll discover your Specialized Profile.

kochubei_valeria_0-1637100102936.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

OK, judging by your search criteria someone needs to search for "smartsheet expert" and filter for rising talent, admin support, project management and New Zealaand to find me.

I don't think anyone is going to be performing that search.

My query is that when you search for Smartsheet Expert my profile doesn't come up, even when searching the exact phrase "Smartsheet Expert". There are only 3 pages of listings on this search and I'm not one of them.

What needs to be done so that I am listed in a exact phrase search for smartsheet expert.

Thanks again,

Adam.

Adam,

Feel free to add the information about your skills and experience with Smartsheet to your general profile, which would contain the overview of all work you complete on Upwork and all services you offer. That way when a client is running a general search not filtered by any category, they may see your profile. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks Valeria,

That worked. Appreciate you walking me through that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members