🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Profile not showing in search results even wh...
Page options
peterbotros
Community Member

Profile not showing in search results even when search by name

A while ago I stopped receiving invitations to apply for jobs at all. So I decided to check for my profile in the search results. To my surprise I didn't find it, I tried searching by name, title, skills, etc. But there was no use. I also tried to apply all the filters possible to minimize the search results outcome, and even though I went page by page, I didn't find my profile. 

When I tried to contact support, They informed me that everything was ok and I don't have to worry. but I still don't know how this is possible to disappear from the search completely.

Also I know about the rotation thing in search results, I understood that it is concerning the order of the appearance in the results not whether a profile appears or not.

So I am looking for a solution or an explanation of this if someone have any.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Peter,

I just searched for your name with no additional filters, and you were listed on the second page of the results.
As we have explained before on these boards, search results depend on many factors such as who is searching, when, whether the search is done for a posted job or not. Additionally, the results are rotated to make sure as many qualified freelancers as possible have a chance to be noticed. Your profile can show on the first page when a client runs a search today but not tomorrow.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

133 REPLIES 133
peterbotros
Community Member

I found out that my profile i set to private, even though my setting say otherwise.

Any explanation?

Hi Peter,

Thank you for reporting this. Our team will investigate this further and contact you directly via ticket. 
About the search results, I have also checked your profile and as the visibility is set to Upwork users only you will appear in search results as long as the user is logged in his Upwork account.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran for your quick reply. 

Did you search for my profile and found it? or since it is set to private you didn't?

@Peter B wrote:

Thanks Goran for your quick reply. 

Did you search for my profile and found it? or since it is set to private you didn't?

Peter, again, your profile is NOT set to private. 

I posted this before I read your reply petra

Hi Peter,

Your profile is working as it should, you will appear in search results by location, skills ect. depends on clients how they will search for freelancers.
And I also searched your profile and was able to find you using your name as it is here Peter B.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran for your trouble. 

But how come that I can't find it using the same parameters you used?

Hi Peter,

I just searched for your name with no additional filters, and you were listed on the second page of the results.
As we have explained before on these boards, search results depend on many factors such as who is searching, when, whether the search is done for a posted job or not. Additionally, the results are rotated to make sure as many qualified freelancers as possible have a chance to be noticed. Your profile can show on the first page when a client runs a search today but not tomorrow.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi @Goran V,

I am facing the same issue. My profile is not appearing in search results. I've tried every possible keyword that should be related to my profile but failed to get it in search.

Can you please help?

Thanks

Hi Muhammad,

As Goran shared in his post, results vary depending on the type of profile used to conduct the search, since a number of factors are taken into account. Clients will always get a different search result for the same keyword/filters than freelancers using the same parameters. In addition, freelancers are regularly rotated in search results, and the order in which the profiles are displayed will change every couple of weeks.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
dave0234
Community Member

Hi Luiggi

My privacy is set to public but still my profile isn't showing up on google searches... Also, clients aren't seeing my proposals at all... its like I'm completely invisible to them.... Please help me... Thanks

Hi, My visibility is set to public yet I can't seem to find my profile anytime I search for it.

Hi Opeoluwa,

Thank you for your message. Qur search algorithm takes a variety of factors into account including the client account used for the search.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

So, did I show up when you searched for me?

Hi Opeoluwa,

Thank you for following up. I checked and I was unable to locate your profile. I shared your concern with our team. Could you please try to update your Hours per week section to another available option and then return it to your preferred option? 

Please let us know once you update this option and we will be happy to check and assist you further if we still can't locate your profile.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thanks, Nikola, you're the very best. My profile is up now.

e888be7d
Community Member

Hello,

Same Issue Nikola! My visibility is set to public yet I can't seem to find my profile anytime I search for it. Please help me to Resolve this Issue

Thank you

Hi Hassan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have escalated your report to the appropriate team for further review and one of the members will be assisting you further via a support ticket. You may access your ticket and coordinate with the team on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e888be7d
Community Member

Thanks a lot Arjay but My issue is same i change some thing in my profile but did not updated and not showing result on search bar

Hi, my profile visibility is set to public yet I can't seem to find my profile anytime I search for it. Additionally, my proposals don't get seen by clients.

Hi Abdullahi,

Various factors go into search results, and results may differ over time, partly to allow more freelancers a chance to be discovered. Some considerations may include Freelancer skills, experience, platform ratings, and other elements geared toward determining a potential match for the client’s job.

Our search is based on several factors that continue to evolve. We cannot disclose exactly what makes up the rules for a search order, and those rules are likely to change, so any specific advice we could give you would be short-lived.  Some sound principles to remember for ranking well in search are as follows:

• Do good work for clients and establish good long-term relationships on Upwork.
  • Only apply to jobs to which you are qualified.
  • Be accurate in showcasing your abilities & skills on your contractor profile.

Also, I'm sorry to hear your proposals aren't getting noticed by clients. I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi , My Profile is also not in search results.. I try alot but no luck ..can you please check it ..Thanks

Hi Muhammad Faheem,

I tried but wasn’t able to replicate the issue you’re describing. I was able to search for your profile by using your first name and last name's initial. Please check this screenshot for your reference. Could you please try using a different browser or the incognito mode of your current browser? You may also try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
6014810b
Community Member

Hello Arjay, I can't see my profile in the search, is it okay if you search for me and take a screenshot? it would be helpful If you can see me in the search. Thank you.

I was wondering why nobody sent me invitations. Well, I set up a client account and searched for a freelancer. By default, the results show only top-rated and top-rated plus. The availability badge is a waste of connections. It doesn't make you shown before those freelancers without it, but it is just visible within your profile frame.
I didn't get the rising talent badge, so I will always be in the black hole of the search results.
Maybe I am a poor businessman, and I should soap someone for the rising talents ticket to anti-blackhole rocket?

Edit:

I cannot be found at all. The advanced search by name and title show 0 results.

Well, avaiability badge works.

petra_r
Community Member

For a new freelancer, the idea that you would get many meaningful invites is unrealistic. Once you have more experience, invites may become a thing, until then, you'll have to rely mostly or entirely on applying to job posts.

I would suggest you stop wasting your connects on the "available now" badge as that is completely useless if you are not appearing high in the search results (which you are not and shouldn't expect to be). Invest those connects in applying for jobs.

You also need to significantly improve your profile.

Is there any meaningful reason why you created that agency? Many, if not most clients prefer independent freelancers and may will not ever touch an agency freelancer.

Why would you start your overview with "Hi, I'm Max. If you are from U S and A or whatever country and in need for whatever translation from the Polish to English or the other way"?

In fact your entire overview doesn't give a client the impression that hiring you will benefit them in any way,

"And maybe this will be your most fruitful co-operation ever. Maybe not."

"I like pineapples"

Seriously?

273060b9
Community Member

Yeah, seriously. The description was normal until yesterday. I have changed it, because I wanted to distinguish myself.

Maybe the stupid approach will work?

---------For a new freelancer, the idea that you would get many meaningful invites is unrealistic.

First of all, I am not new and this is completly irrevelant to the topic. I wrote that I cannot be searched, but you are trying to imply something differnet.

"First of all, I am not new and this is completly irrevelant to the topic. I wrote that I cannot be searched, but you are trying to imply something different."

You are a new freelancer.

What does it mean to be a new freelancer in terms of time?

Maksymilian R wrote:

What does it mean to be a new freelancer in terms of time?

Again you misunderstand; It is not about time, it is about stats. Do more jobs, make more money, get a badge, and gain experience. 

petra_r
Community Member

Maksymilian R wrote:

Maybe the stupid approach will work?

Trust me, it will not.

Maksymilian R wrote:

First of all, I am not new .

You've completed 1 job. You're new.

Maksymilian R wrote: . I wrote that I cannot be searched,

You can be searched and you can be found. I just found you on page 2 of a filtered search. Just not on the first few pages of a general search. And what would be the point if you were found, and clients would take one look at you writing that you are working as a "dependent smuggler" and hit the back-button so fast the keyboard shakes.

273060b9
Community Member

Are you paid for manipulation or what? I wrote that I've changed the description to the stupid one.

I can put whatever I want. Nobody sees it anyway. THIS IS THE PROBLEM. Stop mumbling about things irrevelant to the isue, can you?

Don't talk to her like that. And no, she is not paid for any of this. Neither one of us is. She's trying to help. Here's a pro tip:- take a break and then come back later and read every advice/suggestion in this thread again. It'll help.

If somebody has bad intentions, I do not hesitate to say it out loud. That's all.

Maksymilian R wrote:

If somebody has bad intentions, I am not hesitate to say it out loud. That's all.

You need to stop being defensive and listen to the HELPFUL advice you are being given.

If you want to show in searches more often, you need to get jobs and build a stronger profile. If you want to get jobs, you need to work on your profile. Otherwise it will be a very, very long time before you show up in searches and get more invites.

Your profile is confusing, unprofessional, and gives off negative vibes.

To qualify for the Rising Talent Badge, you must meet these Criteria 

With regards to ranking freelancers' profiles, Upwork uses another algorithm entirely. Sometimes you can appear on the first page, other times, you can appear few pages backward. 

Maksymilian R wrote:

Maybe I am a poor businessman, and I should soap someone for the rising talents ticket to anti-blackhole rocket?

You have to stay active and submit proposals; quality proposals.

I can see that nobody here sees the real issue. It is not about the badge but about being visible. It doesn't matter if my profile is bad or good. I could have had a perfect account, but it is pointless if nobody could see it.

petra_r
Community Member

Maksymilian R wrote:

but it is pointless if nobody could see it.

Your profile can be found. See here

And yet again: Don't rely on invites at this stage of your Upwork career. Your work will come from applying.

273060b9
Community Member

You know what, Petra? I do not know you. When one sees your account, one can assume that you do a great job. Your profile is complete, you have done many jobs, and everything looks great. As you noticed, my account is unprofessional. But you know what? I, a goofy guy who does not understand many things, do not have such cardinal grammar flaws as you do. Well, I believe that your translations have to be flawless, though...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members