Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile review + why does 69% job success look more like 33%

nicholasxcato
Nicholas C Member Since: Feb 23, 2017
1 of 9

Hey all 

So I've been using upwork on and off for a couple of years. Last year I started visiting the site frequently trying to make this a consistent stream of income. 

I was getting a consistent stream of jobs (even nthough they were low paying) up until december when it all suddenly dried up. I dont know if its just this time of year but its pretty alarming how before I'd get atleast a reply now I get absolutley nothing.

When I apply for jobs that have only been up for 3 mins, has less than 5 proposals, but theres already 2 hires, it

feels more like the client is just hiring the first freelancer to send out a proposal at the lowest possible price but I could be wrong.

I would love to know if theres something I could improve on in my profile to get a better response.

After reviewing my profile a few days back I noticed that my job success rate was 69% (Due to a client who tried to get out of paying me for finished work) but on the meter it looks more like 33% than 69%...

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 12.04.21 PM.png

^ Whatever percentage that is its sure as heck isnt 69% let alone 50% for that matter. Seeing this is really upsetting especially seeing as out of the 7 jobs ive had so far 4 of them are rated and out of that 4, 3 are nearly prefect scores with the one bad score being that scammer client mentioned earlier. Does anyone have any idea why this would look like this? 70% isnt good but its definetly not as bad as its being portrayed by this meter to potential clients..

I really want to know if its viable to even use upwork at this point. I try my best to deliver top notch work to my clients even though it seems to be at a dissadvantage to me since the mediocre guy that works for peanuts wins in most cases.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 9

@Nicholas C wrote:

> I was getting a consistent stream of jobs (even nthough they were low paying) up until december when it all suddenly dried up. I dont know if its just this time of year but its pretty alarming how before I'd get atleast a reply now I get absolutley nothing.

Some other lowballers reported a decrease in jobs since December. Maybe a trend, I don't know.

> When I apply for jobs that have only been up for 3 mins, has less than 5 proposals, but theres already 2 hires, it

feels more like the client is just hiring the first freelancer to send out a proposal at the lowest possible price but I could be wrong.

Typical in cheap clients.

> After reviewing my profile a few days back I noticed that my job success rate was 69% (Due to a client who tried to get out of paying me for finished work) but on the meter it looks more like 33% than 69%...

No, it was due to private and public feedback.

>Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 12.04.21 PM.png

^ Whatever percentage that is its sure as heck isnt 69% let alone 50% for that matter.

The blue bar's origin is not 0%, it's 50%. When your JSS goes below 50%, you're out.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 9

yeah it doesn't look like you started out well here. Figure out your mistakes and soldier on to pull yourself out of the hole.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 9

Nicholas, you look like a legit freelancer so wish you better luck from here on out. You really got zinged by the 2.55 feedback from the client who had no hiring history before you, so for the time being, maybe you want to avoid newbie clients, epecially from non English speaking countries since there might have been some communication issues. Maybe Preston H. will discover this thread and give you a try -- he commissions art from time to time.

5 of 9

@Nicholas C wrote:

it seems to be at a dissadvantage to me since the mediocre guy that works for peanuts wins in most cases.

This is partially true. There are two totally different markets on Upwork. The low quality, low-rate market, where you put yourself and the higher quality, well-paying market (good luck to get there once you established yourself as a cheap service provider).

In the market where you are competing, it's all about the rates. And you're fighting against people from Asia. From Atlanta.

-----------
cesare_decal
Ace Contributor
Cesare D Member Since: Feb 4, 2017
6 of 9

Hi Rene,

Is $20.00/hr considered to belong to the low-paying market? I have pretty much the same rate but I thought this would have been a good way to start my career on Upwork (and I wasn't confident enought to charge for more). What do you consider the mimimum high-end hourly rate to be?

Thanks

versailles
Community Guru
7 of 9

@Cesare D wrote:

Hi Rene,

Is $20.00/hr considered to belong to the low-paying market? I have pretty much the same rate but I thought this would have been a good way to start my career on Upwork (and I wasn't confident enought to charge for more). What do you consider the mimimum high-end hourly rate to be?

Thanks

I don't know and it doesn't matter. What matters is how confident you fill about your skills and how in a hurry you are.

I'm not in mobile developments but a real developer charges way more than $20/h. Then, this place is crowded with so-called developers who work for pennies. If you want to charge a decent rate, you need to have full expertise, know how to sell yourself and accept to be patient.

-----------
nicholasxcato
Nicholas C Member Since: Feb 23, 2017
8 of 9

Just want to thank everyone for the constructive feedback. And yeah that one job was hell but theres not much I can do about it now.  

My question now is would it be hard to win a job with a score this low? How would I position myself to acquire the high paying client? Are the asessment tests effective?

I changed my hourly price from $40/hr to $23/hr after seeing the average prices of other illustrators on upwork. Does this place me in the low-end of the market?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 9

Hi Nicholas,

Please, check the original post by Garnor here to find out more about the Job Success score Blue Bar and why it shows the range from 50% to 100%.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS