🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Profile views dropped after getting Top R...
Page options
adillraza
Community Member

Profile views dropped after getting Top Rated badge

Hi, I'm six months into UpWork. I've consistently worked on multiple projects, kept 100% JSS, response time is under 1 hour, have 13% long term clients. Couple of days back I earned Top Rated badge. However soon after that I am not getting a single view on my Profile. I'm just curious to know what's happening? I've changed nothing in my Profile. It's 100% complete.

any lead will be appreciated.

thanks,

adil

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Adil:
It could just be a random lull, but I can think of 2 things that could be contributing:

1. There's currently a major multi-week basketball tournament going on in the U.S.  right now (March Madness) that is notorious for causing a drastic SLUMP in productivity each year, as people at home and in offices are staring at TVs and watching games non-stop all day, neglecting work, regular business activites, family, and everything else for weeks.  😂  It wraps up in early April

2. That 'available now' badge: I tried it a couple years ago when Upwork had it's 'pilot' program before releasing it to the general public, and actually noticed that I got way FEWER profiles views with it on versus off.  The problem is "available now" can be perceived many ways by different people -  It can be a turn off to some clients, because it could signal desperation for work or being 'available' because nobody else will hire you, etc.  Remember, a client searching profiles doesn't KNOW that you may already be working unless they open your profile, but they may NOT open your profile simply because they see 'available now'.

Maybe it works for some folks, but it had the exact opposite effect for me: As soon as I cut off the 'available now' during the pilot program, profile views and invites started up again.  I think it's a psychological thing for some clients, just like it is for employers in the business world.  When you think about it, most employers will go out of their way to try to recruit a candidate that is already working 'somewhere else', but have less interest in a candidate they think isn't working somewhere else and is readily 'available'.   People naturally try to get what they think they can't have, but have limited interest in what's readily available. 

Honestly, I think if Upwork had a way for freelancers to put up a button that says 'off the market' on their profile instead of 'available now', those freelancers showing as 'off the market' would get flooded with non-stop invites and messages.  People are more drawn to what they can't have than to what they can have. That's just human nature.  My advice, try a week or 2 with the 'available now' OFF and see if you get more views.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bilsim
Community Member

IMO, it's just a temporary lull. It has nothing to do with your Top Rated status.

adillraza
Community Member

Hi Biljana, thanks for your reply, Seems like it's a temporary down time! Hopefully it will kick off soon.

Hi Adil:
It could just be a random lull, but I can think of 2 things that could be contributing:

1. There's currently a major multi-week basketball tournament going on in the U.S.  right now (March Madness) that is notorious for causing a drastic SLUMP in productivity each year, as people at home and in offices are staring at TVs and watching games non-stop all day, neglecting work, regular business activites, family, and everything else for weeks.  😂  It wraps up in early April

2. That 'available now' badge: I tried it a couple years ago when Upwork had it's 'pilot' program before releasing it to the general public, and actually noticed that I got way FEWER profiles views with it on versus off.  The problem is "available now" can be perceived many ways by different people -  It can be a turn off to some clients, because it could signal desperation for work or being 'available' because nobody else will hire you, etc.  Remember, a client searching profiles doesn't KNOW that you may already be working unless they open your profile, but they may NOT open your profile simply because they see 'available now'.

Maybe it works for some folks, but it had the exact opposite effect for me: As soon as I cut off the 'available now' during the pilot program, profile views and invites started up again.  I think it's a psychological thing for some clients, just like it is for employers in the business world.  When you think about it, most employers will go out of their way to try to recruit a candidate that is already working 'somewhere else', but have less interest in a candidate they think isn't working somewhere else and is readily 'available'.   People naturally try to get what they think they can't have, but have limited interest in what's readily available. 

Honestly, I think if Upwork had a way for freelancers to put up a button that says 'off the market' on their profile instead of 'available now', those freelancers showing as 'off the market' would get flooded with non-stop invites and messages.  People are more drawn to what they can't have than to what they can have. That's just human nature.  My advice, try a week or 2 with the 'available now' OFF and see if you get more views.

Hi CJ, thank you so much for your reply. It's really helpful to know these insights.

8467c28e
Community Member

Adil,

There could be many reasons why your profile views have dropped, and it might not have anything to do with the badge. However, there are a few things you can do to boost your visibility on the platform. One thing you might consider is refreshing your profile. Even though you've already completed it, it's worth taking a second look to make sure everything is up to date and accurately reflects your skills and experience. You could also try changing your profile picture or tweaking your description to make it more eye-catching. Another thing you might try is to be more active on the platform. That means applying to more jobs, responding to messages quickly, and reaching out to potential clients proactively. The more active you are, the more visible you'll be on the platform. Don't forget to take advantage of Upwork's resources as well. There are plenty of tips and tricks available to help you improve your profile and increase your visibility. You might also consider reaching out to Upwork support to see if they have any insights or suggestions. Don't get discouraged. Earning the Top Rated badge is a big achievement, and it's something to be proud of. Keep up the good work, and I'm sure your profile views will pick up again soon.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths