Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Admin SCAM!!!

teacherkaren1026
Karen F Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
1 of 3

Hello all, 
I am very new to UpWork and was excited to see that I was already being sent interview requests. I received an interview request asking me to email the contact person. I sent a personal email and received a response that didn't feel right. 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I received a second email from her and then a third. Both of them were asking me to give her my home address, phone number, and more personal information so that I may receive my "salary"and the funds needed to carry out the tasks she would have me do. The tasks included me running errands and dropping items off at Orphanages. I replied to her that I was not a right fit for her because I live in China. She send me another offer just as crazy but still asking for my personal information. 

I wanted to share this experience to warn others. This is the first time I've used UpWork, I am hoping that not all freelance opportunities are scams. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 3

Scammers come out of the woodwork when  you're new. It will die down. In the meantime:

- Never agree to any payment arrangement other than through the Upwork platform; not only is it often a scam, it's a TOS violation and will get your account suspended

-Any mention of equipment or purchasing materials at the outset (even with reimbursement) is a major red flag. When you have an established relationship with a client such occasions may arise, depending on the nature of your work, but when it starts that way, it's usually a check cashing or other scam

-You're not hired just because someone says you are. You are hired when they've sent you an offer through upwork and you've clicked accept and that job appears in "My Jobs" on Upwork

-Don't start work until the client has a verified payment method (hourly) or has funded a milestone (fixed price)

-When a milestone has been funded, don't do any more work than the funds will cover. Some shady clients will create a first milestone for a dollar to open the project, then get the freelancer to complete significant work and close the contract without providing additional funding.

Don't worry, though. This sounds like a lot at the outset, but it's just one slice of what you'll encounter here and you'll learn to recognize it pretty quickly. Just exercise caution until that happens.

View solution in original post

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 3

Hi Karen, 

Tiffany has given great tips on how to spot these scam clients. If you haven't already, please lodge a ticket with our support team, with screen grabs of your conversation with your client so that the team can take actions against the job post and account. 

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS