🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Project Posts and Questions Asked
Page options
creativevibs
Community Member

Project Posts and Questions Asked

I really dont understand this. Someone posts a Project with one line need- logo, Postcards, brochures needed.. and no other company information, no details of their exact requirements but has multiple Questions to Ask to the Freelancer- What past project or job have you had that is most like this one and why? What suggestions you can make? Why did you pick this project? (I may not be using the exact wordings of these Questions, but have come accross many similar questions)

How do you answer these questions when you don't know what subject are you working on?

And Why did I pick up the past project like this one?

In anyway, Can't there be this necessary requirements that while posting a project one needs to describe about their company first and then their exact needs!

15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

Vibha:

It's not a quiz.

There are no "wrong" answers to those questions.

Just think of those questions as ways to introduce yourself to the client. Whenever you see questions like that, they give you an advantage over most of the other freelancers applying to the same job post, because you are more well-spoken and articulate than they are.

Thanks for your prompt reply! You're right! sometimes the companies test like this or sometimes based on my expereince they really don't know what to write. So maybe if they are asked to compulsory write in those set questions while placing a project like "Tell about your company" or Describe your requirements in so many #of words minimum.. maybe that might help them to describe.  I am very much willing to express my interest and my thoughts, but atleast I should know what Brochure/Logo is all about so I can share my related ideas to improve their current collaterals, Also instead of just elaborating my work in every direction and confusing them more (Lol)...

But yeah I will keep trying though!

When job posters are vague, I just go on to something else.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I report the post for "vague description" or "unrealistic expectations" and move on down the line.

If they aren't serious about their project, why should anyone else be?

Exactly my point!
paulmessing
Community Member

I think this is going to be a growing problem for Upwork now that are charging 15 cents for a "connect."   Vague job descriptions means that freelancers have to use connects just to ask questions and get some basic information about the specifics of a job. I think they should require job posters to provide a certain amount of specific information. I've seen some ridiculous postings that look like they were written by children. 🙂

Vibha, one factor to consider is the client's hiring history. If the client has spent money on the platform, received good reviews, and has a decent hiring rate, then chances are better you won't be wasting connects by applying.

This is true, but it still comes down to “if” and “chances are good” 🙂

John K: thats a good point..might try that as well! Thanks!

Paul M: yes.. atleast something should be there in favor of Freelancers who are spending endlessly in bidding but the other end dont have much patience to explain who they are and sit on the projects open for months!

Its hard to identify everytime who could be genuinely innocent of not knowing what they want.

Vibha V wrote:

Paul M: yes.. atleast something should be there in favor of Freelancers who are spending endlessly in bidding but the other end dont have much patience to explain who they are and sit on the projects open for months!

Its hard to identify everytime who could be genuinely innocent of not knowing what they want.

If you are spending endlessly in bidding, you are doing it wrong. 

Paul M wrote:

I think this is going to be a growing problem for Upwork now that are charging 15 cents for a "connect."   Vague job descriptions means that freelancers have to use connects just to ask questions and get some basic information about the specifics of a job. I think they should require job posters to provide a certain amount of specific information. I've seen some ridiculous postings that look like they were written by children. 🙂

That's not a problem at all--it's a good thing. Freelancers will be less willing to bid blindly on poorly-worded jobs and those clients will either learn to write a job description or drift away when they don't get bids.

A good point. Time will tell 🙂
llathrop
Community Member

Vibha,

When I see a post that does not have enough to describe the project I usually give it a thumbs down and select that it is because of the vague description.  After doing this about 7 times I do not see these type of jobs as often.

You might say I am missing out, but I have been burned twice with these type of postings.  So I only apply to jobs that have more of a description.  The ones with a stronger description seem to have more of a serious attitude toward the project.  My first month I wasted 10 connects on these projects without any luck.  

If you do take these vague job postings, please sure what worked with the rest of us and what did not work.  

Respectfully,

<-Larry

Oh, I never do respond to those jobs. Thanks.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths