🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Project cancelled by the client & escrow refu...
Page options
souravmandal26
Community Member

Project cancelled by the client & escrow refund

Hello All,

I require some guidance from you regarding one of my recent project.

I have received one fixed price contract project on identify top demanding Tire label sizes across NA, Europe & Asia. After detailed research I realized that top demanding data can only be available from selling page from E market place since no such data is available from manufacturers website or blog or any published research paper. I made listing all of such product with their listing link (client has asked for link of data I am using) and made identify top selling products from that only. I submitted the data sheet and also explanation why I have choosen the method.

After I submitted the data, I received message from the client that the client is not happy with my method and ask me to get data from manufacturers & Blogs asked for revision otherwise she would not approve. I again explain the the reason to client that there is no sufficient data is available in manufacturers site and no such blog discussion on top demanding tire label size. I also requested the client if she has any such reference or link, she can share & I would be happy to incorporate them into my research (since I know there is not any such after doing detailed research on it).

Then the client did not respond any thing and cancelled the contract and I received an escrow refund request.

Now my question is whether I should approve the refund since the client is not satisfied. I am also concerned with my JSS also since it would take a hit becasue of full refund (full refund, there is no milestone since project amount is very small). Also since I have spent several hours in it, I am not fully convinced for full escrow refund.

It would be great if you kindly suggest what should I do.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

You were hired to do a job with a very specific deliverable. You were unable to deliver that deliverable. 

I understand that you could not find the data needed, but that is simply not the client's problem. You agreed to deliver X, and delivered Y.  The client ordered a kitten, you delivered a puppy. It really doesn't matter why you delivered a puppy, the client does not want and did not ask for a puppy.

Sourav M wrote:

I am also concerned with my JSS also since it would take a hit becasue of full refund

A full refund by itself would not hurt your JSS. The (private) feedback the client left when cancelling the contract will affect it, for better or for worse, depending on how good or bbad that feedback was.

Sourav M wrote:

It would be great if you kindly suggest what should I do.

Personally I would refund. The client didn't get what she asked for and what you agreed to delivered. 

In future, make sure you understand what the client is looking for and check if what you are agreeing to do is possible.

Yes I also agree to refund the amount to the client but was wooried about impact on JSS. Thanks for suggestion.

Sourav M wrote:

Yes I also agree to refund the amount to the client but was wooried about impact on JSS.

That has nothing to do with the refund.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members