cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project management inflexibility

Highlighted
Mary N Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
1 of 11

This is about the impossibility to make any changes after a contract is started.

This is making things difficult for my clients and for myself; I am an ex-elancer, back in that platform contract could be altered in any moment if both parts agreed so, it offered a great flexibility since very often clients need to add work to project (new stages, extra changes, or simple the project result to be more complex than expected and stuff needs to be included that wasn't thought of at first), but is impossible weather to add milestones, change budget or extend the duration of the project (change the due date). This is a really important issue since as far as I understand, having projects opened long after the due date affects our job success rate and might result in the top rated badge removed (at least I was told this by custumer service), It has represent a problem to me since I started working in the platform, it also makes the clients life uneasy, it would be incredibly useful if you guys can pay a attention to this I think it will help us all to have a flexible platform that clients can use as effortless as possible.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Hi Mary,

I can assure you that the Milestone due date doesn't affect the Job Success Score or the Top Rated status. A pattern of inactive open contracts does but not the due date. I went through all of your tickets and couldn't find any reference Custome Support made about a due date affecting the Job Success Score.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 11

Thank you very much for your answer, is good to know you pay attention to these posts! And is good to know about the job success score!

Still, do you think there's any possibility that the contract would change to be more flexible, this has brough me and my clients several inconviniences so far, I think it could be great for both parts if the project could be more flexible. Often a client wants to add stages to a project and right now when this happens he needs to open another contract instead of just adding a new milestone, to put it clearer, if a client hired me to make a website of 5 pages and dring the process he discovers that he needs one extra page, he would have to open a new project instead of just being able to modify the actual project, wouldn't it be better if he can add to the same project?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 11

Mary, your client can add new milestones to an existing fixed-price projects. I don't think they can fund multiples milestones in advance although, which is indeed problematic (and if this not true, Vlad or another agent will correct me).

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 11

Hi Mary,

There are a few option you can choose here, but in my opinion the easiest one is to ask the client add and fund an additional Milestone on the existing contract.

Highlighted
6 of 11

Wouldn't it be easier for my client if  I can add milestones that he only has to approved? same with the due date, right now I have projects that are opened from January and not much has been done because my client is preparing the contents, and have another client in a similar situation, is very normal that clien add work to a project during its course and it ends up taking longer than expected, can't this be interpreted as a pattern of late deliveries? Sorry if I am asking many questions, I think this might help us all improve in case there really is an issue.

What I think is we need to make things easier for the client, and having more flexible contracts, being able to modify active contracts under client's approval can help the process a lot. Now, I know this is not simple thngs I am suggesting, but may be it would be good to consider this possibility. 

Highlighted
7 of 11

By the way, as a freelance I can't see what my clients are able to do or not, so I thought they could not adda milestone because some of them told me so.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 11

Mary,

Some of us have already requested the ability for contractors to add milestones, and also for an additional step for both contractors and clients to approve any milestone added by the other party, as it was the case on Elance.

Unfortunately, Upwork did not implement those requests yet, and I don't know if they will. 

Other than that, as already mentioned, your client can add milestones, they don't have to set a deadline and it's ok if you miss deadlines that were set.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
9 of 11

Thanks for your answer Rene, I think these are relevant suggestions and I hope they can take it into consideration, all platforms evolve with use and I hope upwork is not the exception. 

Highlighted
10 of 11

Attached file is a sample of the inconviniences that the inflexibility might cause

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS