🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Promo Code ... Purposeless? Then please t...
Page options
omar-sinbawy
Community Member

Promo Code ... Purposeless? Then please take it off (Bad UX)

I have been an avid purchaser of connects since the dawn of time. I have been on the platform for a long period of time. Decent earnings and had top-rated status ... had countless encounters with support over the phone and asked for coupon codes but never received any.

Yet, it amazes me that throughout the last 3 years ... I never received any coupon codes related to purchasing connects.

Having searched the forums here ... it seems like 90% of freelancers have the same issue, they were never able to use the coupon code feature when purchasing connects.

That's what I call a useless option for 90% of the people on this platform. Maybe 10% benefit from this feature ... but it just feels like a bad UX for most of us.

My suggestion is ... either to take it off, or figure out a way to incentivize the community to buy more connects. Like perhaps send a code for someone who just completed a job, got a 5-star review, earned top status, someone who is an uprising talent ... 

The platform is losing money on this opportunity. Just a suggestion ... leave it or take it. It kind of bugs me to see the same field for the last 3 years yet never found any use for it personally.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Omar,

Thank you for sharing your feedback here. Our team doesn't have discount codes, or promos available at the moment. But periodically, offers are sent through email, at on-site Upwork events, and through different partnerships. If you would like to get the chance to participate in our marketing events, you may submit the following form and we'll add you to the list. You can always unsubscribe at any time.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Omar S wrote:

... had countless encounters with support over the phone and asked for coupon codes but never received any.

Why would you have "countless" encounters with support wasting their and your time asking for something you were no doubt told (countless times) is not available that way?

Omar S wrote:

The platform is losing money on this opportunity.

How?

Hint: The platform is losing money anyway, and it does not help when users abuse the support facilities (which we all pay for with our fees) with "countless calls" asking for freebies.

It's because of that kind of behaviour that support options are restricted. I am afraid that in the end the only way to stop that abuse of support is to start charging connects for support options.

Maybe being deducted 20 connects for every call would make people hesitate before they call "countless times" to ask to be given something for free.

That's taking a situation out of context and misinterpreting it completely.

To clarify things. I don't call the support countless times to get a coupon code. When I call support, it's because I'm trying to fix a real issue. And equally, by the end of the call I might ask "by the way how do I make use of the discount code option". To clarify again ... I sometimes don't ask for it too.

Well, I don't know Petra, but if you have limited experience dealing with proper businesses ... here's more clarification. When you contact a business's support system, especially businesses that care about their customers, they might offer coupon codes as a way of saying we support each other and we care because you care. You've been a great customer and made my day slightly better, here's something that might make your day slightly better.

It's quite basic. But of course, if you don't understand how reciprocity works in business. That's because you've been dealing with plenty of bad ones. I can understand.

Omar S wrote:

To clarify things. I don't call the support countless times to get a coupon code. When I call support, it's because I'm trying to fix a real issue. And equally, by the end of the call I might ask "by the way how do I make use of the discount code option". To clarify again ... I sometimes don't ask for it too.

So you ask countless times for a freebie (despite being countless times you're not getting one) but sometimes you don't. OK, important distinction, I'm sure.

Omar S wrote:

Well, I don't know Petra, but if you have limited experience dealing with proper businesses ... here's more clarification.

So how is not giving freelancers vouchers for for free connects losing Upwork money? Rather than attack my non-existing lack of business experience, how about you simply answer the question?

Omar S wrote:

You've been a great customer and made my day slightly better, here's something that might make your day slightly better.

You think your asking for freebies ("countless times") is making Support's day slightly better?

I am well aware of the power of giving customers (a.k.a clients in Upwork's eyes) treats occasionally, and Upwork does that anyway (to clients, who are the real customers of a freelancing website.)

Petra R wrote:

So you ask countless times for a freebie (despite being countless times you're not getting one) but sometimes you don't. OK, important distinction, I'm sure.

According to your logic ... That's why it proves purposeless to have the discount code as an option when buying connects. Why does it appear countless times when I purchase connects when I'm being told countless times I'm not getting one. That's what I'm saying on this post.

Petra R wrote:

So how is not giving freelancers vouchers for for free connects losing Upwork money? Rather than attack my non-existing lack of business experience, how about you simply answer the question?

I don't attack, I only reciopricate and mirror your behavior. Well if it's going to make Upwork lose money ... then why not take it out completely.

Petra R wrote:

You think your asking for freebies ("countless times") is making Support's day slightly better?

I am well aware of the power of giving customers (a.k.a clients in Upwork's eyes) treats occasionally, and Upwork does that anyway (to clients, who are the real customers of a freelancing website.)

Well that's where the whole bug in the system lies. Freelancers are not real customers as well? How can I not be a customer if I'm spending my money to buy connects? (And the upwork fees deducted from every project) And guess what, I'm equally a client on the platform with a well-respected amount of money spent. Without the freelancer, there's no client and vice-versa.

Being a freelancer and a client, I have shares in this company and it's my right to stand up as a voice for improving Upwork as a platform ... Obviously you're not pro improvement, and that's alright.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Omar,

Thank you for sharing your feedback here. Our team doesn't have discount codes, or promos available at the moment. But periodically, offers are sent through email, at on-site Upwork events, and through different partnerships. If you would like to get the chance to participate in our marketing events, you may submit the following form and we'll add you to the list. You can always unsubscribe at any time.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you Avery, I appreciate it. Checking this option now.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths