Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promote Valeria to Head of CS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
1 of 18

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I would like to invite the community to vote Valeria (the community mod) into the office of the Customer Support department, provided it's something she'd even be interested in doing. It's awesome to actually have a helpful community mod, but the benefit to us would be so much greater if we could get helpful Customer Support instead. Better CS would also make the moderator role largely redundant and anyone with half a brain could merge and censor threads. I'd like to urge Upwork to stop wasting talent, and try something drastically different, because whatever has been done so far, does not work. I am sure that the current people in charge are great and qualified people, and it's nothing personal, it's just not a great fit. Bring in someone new, introduce some hard metrics, and clean up CS based on customer satisfaction. Whoever scores poorly on their tickets, needs to go. If you measure the right things, your reps will start producing results. 

Please cast your vote by commenting. Thank you.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
2 of 18

Vote HERE

http://strawpoll.me/4640819

Straw Poll - Google Chrome (06-16-2015 09.56.03).png

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
3 of 18

@Setu M wrote:
http://strawpoll.me/4640819

Thanks, Setu! 

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 18

I fully agree - she should be head of the department! Valeria is the reason why I come to the forums with my Upwork problems instead of contacting CS. She responds quickly, accurately and genuinely Smiley Happy

I know that this is sometimes a thankless job, but you have my heartfelt thanks for solving/answering many of my issues and those of others here.

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
5 of 18

I am not sure if its possible but she really deserve it!

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
6 of 18

Voted.

She’s the best moderator we have had in a long time. I wonder why she has not been promoted to community manager.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
7 of 18

Krisztina,

Perhaps she would not want to work CS. I was invited apply for a job with CS but I turned it down. (to busy mainly) Can you imagine the amount of complaints and people upset everyday you would have to listen to? Much more then the forum. I sure wouldn't want to work CS for Upwork at this time and period.

If I were Valeria I would not want to work in CS. It would not be much of a promotion to be tormented by nasty language, upset people and questions you are gagged from answering.

Although I could be wrong perhaps she would like to work CS. I think she does a wonderful job in the forum but perhaps she is doing what she enjoys doing.

Community Guru
8 of 18

@Suzanne N wrote:

Krisztina,

Perhaps she would not want to work CS. I was invited apply for a job with CS but I turned it down. (to busy mainly) Can you imagine the amount of complaints and people upset everyday you would have to listen to? Much more then the forum. I sure wouldn't want to work CS for Upwork at this time and period.

If I were Valeria I would not want to work in CS. It would not be much of a promotion to be tormented by nasty language, upset people and questions you are gagged from answering.

Although I could be wrong perhaps she would like to work CS. I think she does a wonderful job in the forum but perhaps she is doing what she enjoys doing.

I wasn't trying to impose, and did add if it was something she'd be interested in doing. I am also not naive enough to believe that a simple forum campaign would get anyone promoted. That said, my proposal is not suggesting for her to work in CS (well sort of), but head CS, big difference. In other words establish and document processes, set goals, and staff and measure against those goals. The Head of CS does not get involved in tickets much, at least they shouldn't, they jump in in emergencies as the highest person to escalate mission critical issues to. She has displayed some unique character traits and never struggles to find the right words. Plus she has the context and platform experience the current CS head seems to be lacking (if I am doing anyone injustice my apologies). Sometimes that's all it takes. Even if they can't instantly fix the issue, an intelligent and sincere reply can easily buy another couple of days of time, and ensure a good customer experience. Based on my experience with support, there seems to be no incentive for reps to even solve issues. How can support ever be decent if reps have no desire whatsoever to solve the issue? What are they measured on? I don't know Valeria, but based on what I can see in this forum, the intellect is clearly there, and if I were Upwork, I'd do my very best retaining such a team member and give them opportunities to grow. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 18

Well I agree, and I voted, but I wouldn't want her to disappear into the CS corridors of power never to be seen again on the forum!

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
10 of 18

I agree with your points Suzanne, but if Valeria were working in CS, she'd probably face less of the nasty language because she'd actually read the questions/concerns and respond appropriately. Obviously, though, there will always be difficult freelancers/clients who just want to complain and create trouble.

In my opinion, these are the main issues with CS right now (obviously not with all of the representatives - I've talked to some great ones):

1) They don't bother to read your question/problem and respond with something completely unrelated.

2) Some struggle with English and therefore don't fully understand the message.

3) Regarding email support, they take days to respond; regarding live chat, they sometimes say "Hello" and then disconnect immediately (this could very well be due to technical issues - but there seem to be a lot of them).

4) They don't update people's tickets or incorrectly mark some as "solved".

These are just some of the problems that I've personally come across and also from reading various threads here. I've also worked in customer support and agree that it can be very frustrating, but a lot of Upwork CS representatives don't even seem to be trying - sometimes I think that many of them are playing a joke on us.

(This post might be against community guidelines, but this is honest feedback about CS, and I've got the chat transcripts to prove it.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS