Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposal Feedback

Ace Contributor
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 19, 2019
1 of 7

Hi

I wish there was a way to get feedback on proposals. If the potential clients just decided to not hire anyone, decided the proposal was insuffient or they liked it but liked someone better. I wish when they closed their process - it had them give a generic response.  I think that would help individuals know and improve their propsoals.  

I was also wondering how long before a proposal is no longer viable?  Some seem to sit out there for a week - it doen't seem like it was selected but also doesn't seem like it was not selected either.  

does anyone have any experience knowing how to evaluate whether you should pull it back? or do you let a proposal sit out there forever.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 7

They get dozens, and I'm sure they are busy. You kinda just got to send proposals into the void and forget about it unless they message you back.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 7

Jennifer D wrote:

Hi

I wish there was a way to get feedback on proposals. If the potential clients just decided to not hire anyone, decided the proposal was insuffient or they liked it but liked someone better. I wish when they closed their process - it had them give a generic response.  I think that would help individuals know and improve their propsoals.  

I was also wondering how long before a proposal is no longer viable?  Some seem to sit out there for a week - it doen't seem like it was selected but also doesn't seem like it was not selected either.  

does anyone have any experience knowing how to evaluate whether you should pull it back? or do you let a proposal sit out there forever.

Upwork will not make clients do anything that takes extra time on their part, and we don't want that either. And not all clients close jobs (or hire anyone), so it's rather pointless. It's also pointless to "pull it back", and there's nothing to evaluate (except perhaps improving the way your write your bids).

As Jen M. says ... learn to leave your bids and move on.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 7

Freelancing through a platform like Upwork is probably different than anything you have encountered in the past. Be sure to do as much reading of past forum posts as you can to get an idea of the freelance ecosystem. 

Be on the alert for scams and don't expect prospective clients to behave as they might in a more traditional setting. 

Loh N Member Since: Oct 9, 2017
5 of 7

I think it doesn’t hurt to provide a simple star feedback on every proposal that a Freelancer sent to potential clients. This will make a great environment for Freelancers who don’t make any money after dozens of proposals they sent. Congratulations to you and maybe 10% of others who make money through the platform. What happens to the 90% of Freelancers who offer their service and never make money? Upwork collects their money and no feedback to improve their proposals. Just something to think about for Upwork. The idea of this platform is great, however it is very hard to land a job, maybe not enough job posts for every Freelancers. I mean, do we know the stats of Upwork job posts? 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 7

Loh N wrote:

I think it doesn’t hurt to provide a simple star feedback on every proposal that a Freelancer sent to potential clients. This will make a great environment for Freelancers who don’t make any money after dozens of proposals they sent. Congratulations to you and maybe 10% of others who make money through the platform. What happens to the 90% of Freelancers who offer their service and never make money? Upwork collects their money and no feedback to improve their proposals. Just something to think about for Upwork. The idea of this platform is great, however it is very hard to land a job, maybe not enough job posts for every Freelancers. I mean, do we know the stats of Upwork job posts? 

You should not be spending money to try to find jobs on Upwork. There are absolutely not enough jobs for every freelancer, far from it. There are no guarantees here. It is a platform you can use to market your valuable skills. If you aren't able to market yourself and/or you don't have valuable skills then you probably won't be successful. The competition is very high.  

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
7 of 7

Loh N wrote: What happens to the 90% of Freelancers who offer their service and never make money? Upwork collects their money and no feedback to improve their proposals. 

What do you mean collects their money? If you don't earn anything, you don't pay any fees to upwork. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS