🐈 Community
bjungquist

Proposal Question

I am a freelance journalist and when I send proposals, ill send a possible client a link to my journalism portfolio that's outside of Upwork. Is this allowed? I do it so clients will possibly know that I am a professional and have had work published. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi

As long as the link doesn't contain personal contact info, and you have client permission to use what you're sharing, it's okay.

I know many writers here suggest you put writing samples in your Upwork portfolio.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mtngigi

As long as the link doesn't contain personal contact info, and you have client permission to use what you're sharing, it's okay.

I know many writers here suggest you put writing samples in your Upwork portfolio.

keltonpeter

I've been a journalist for 64 years with liks to my work imbedded in my Profile page. I see no reason why Upwork would object. If they do, let me know and we'll launch a campaign to fix it. After all, without us Upwork is nothing.

And likewise, without Upwork we are nothing. To clarify that statement, I mean that we are nothing when it comes to what we do and what we have earned through Upwork... obviously our value isn't defined by one website.

But my point is that we need Upwork just as much as Upwork need us, and clients need Upwork just as much as Upwork need clients, and freelancers need clients just as much as clients need freelancers. To insinuate that Upwork would be nothing without us is slightly freelancer-centric. It could be said that Upwork is more likely to be nothing without clients, as the service fees that constitute most of Upwork's earnings, come out of the pockets of clients.

But still... you're not allowed links to your portfolio within your profile if those links contain some means to contact you. It's to avoid disintermediation. You are allowed links in your cover letters though. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bryce and others,

You can't share links to websites that contain your contact information in your profile. You can, however, send links and alternative ways to contact you to the client in your proposal. We do recommend keeping communication on Upwork though in case any issues arise.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Learning Paths