cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposal boost relaunching date

farag-m-sayed
Ace Contributor

Hello everyone!

Looking for information on the relaunching date of the proposal boost feature and google directed me here to latest announcement on 10/13 last year. I tried to way in but it was dead end argument…

Now, why not declining concerns for using the feature with stating some facts …

First, all major online platforms (Google, YouTube, Facebook, etc..) now have preserved the first slots or page top section for “ads”, Which exactly the same concept introduced in this feature model.

For example, when you Google search service provider or product by name you may still get the most relevant Google ad purchased in your location as a top result with “ad” label. And some companies just purchase that slot for the search results of their own name, like when you google search Facebook, the first result sometimes is Facebook as an “ad” and then Facebook again in the second slot because it is Facebook.

I don’t think Facebook or any other business did protest that model because they can simply purchase the ad to avoid competition, especially because it does not cost much, properly like few hundred dollars, which many advertising experts here might know already, and which is the case for our Upwork list top three slots auction situation for few pennies or dollars.

Reading comments on the announcement, like Community Guru Martina P’s “This freelancer spent 60 cents because he is so extra-interested. Blue lightning bolt. (sarcasm warning)” and “It cheapens the freelancer who does it” …

Well, not at all. It doesn’t. Martina**Edited for community guidelines** this is a business trading place not an elementary school with seniors and juniors. More buyers and more sellers will join the network every day and early users should not dictate the platform model for their demands.

Upwork ranking at the top and number 1 freelancing market now. With early users having 50 or 100 jobs in progress to deliver some within few months, while another new user with advanced skills available to deliver 1 in few hours maybe in better quality. Proposal boost feature maybe one way to resolve this issue.

I started using my profile last year and the feature worked perfect for me to get first hire, regardless to the client’s preferred qualification of minimum earnings at $1000 freelancers, which otherwise the most used filter by the clients.

I hope someone here provide some information about the feature relaunching date rather than “soon” or “stay tuned”

Cheers!

82 REPLIES 82
martina_plaschka
Community Guru

I hope never. And don't call me darling. 

Ok, sorry Martina.

tagrendy
Community Leader

It's a horrible idea, getting a job shouldn't be an auction, and as a client it would irritate me seeing ad-proposals of unqualified freelancers at the top who just paid for it.

I don’t think an unqualified freelancers would pay for you to look at their unqualified profile, because they will just waste their money. But a new qualified freelancers will be able to promote their services to you while they are available to get your job done faster.

Yes they would, and so would big companies that can spend way more money than a qualified newbie. I will always be against deprioritizing proposals of freelancers with good track record in favor of anyone who is willing to just pay for it. 

Proposals page to a client is a list. The boosted proposals only occupy the top 5% or 10% of what is visible on the first look to a client. And it will be labelled “paid for” or something like that…

I usually scroll down pass the “ads” in Google search results, but sometimes when I don’t find what I was looking for, I scroll back up and have a look. That’s pretty much it, Tatevik.

So now you're saying it's not going to matter whose proposals get on the top because clients will ignore it / scroll pass it.  If you believe that, why would you buy a space only to be mostly ignored? However, I do not agree with you. Ads work, the more exposure something gets - the more that thing gets bought. A list will always have bias as the top will be visible more - there is no way to make all equal. But what is worse is making that bias be in favor of money-paying freelancers, rather than top-rated ones who worked hard on their JSS for months and earned that space.

I wouldn't mind Upwork implementing something to help newbies specifically get more exposure, but this ain't it. This will hurt 90% of experienced freelancers for nothing that they have done wrong, and mostly benefit companies / agencies.

Tatevik G wrote:

So now you're saying it's not going to matter whose proposals get on the top because clients will ignore it / scroll pass it.  If you believe that, why would you buy a space only to be mostly ignored? However, I do not agree with you. Ads work, the more exposure something gets - the more that thing gets bought. A list will always have bias as the top will be visible more - there is no way to make all equal. But what is worse is making that bias be in favor of money-paying freelancers, rather than top-rated ones who worked hard on their JSS for months and earned that space.

I wouldn't mind Upwork implementing something to help newbies specifically get more exposure, but this ain't it. This will hurt 90% of experienced freelancers for nothing that they have done wrong, and mostly benefit companies / agencies.

I actually think it won't necessarily hurt experienced freelancers in the way you think. What I think it will do is put a bunch of bad profiles in the top spots so clients think that the best matches are inexperienced (or worse low quality, irresponsible, just bad) freelancers and they'll abandon the platform entirely and never hire anyone. That will hurt experienced freelancers. Clients already complain about having to wade through proposals and screen too many proposals. Imagine having to wade through bad ones on the very top that are "boosted". 

Yes, I thought the whole JSS was implemented to help clients find good fits, and proposal booster just completely negates it. Get more exposure by paying rather than working hard and delivering consistent results, great.

I understand your concerns and I think the answer to your questions will be in the test results data with Upwork. After all I think maybe few thousands shared their opinions here out of twenty million freelancers and five million clients.

I think it may run for another longer test next time before the network make a final decision.

I'm only asking for the date or any information because I think it will help me build creditability on the platform like you Tatevik and Amanda.

But in the future when I no longer need it, I don’t think it would bother me, if it helped other new users build their profiles.

Maybe because I have been in the online advertising business for long time, I can identify genuine product or service ads easily, but I understand how it could be irritating for people working in other fields.  

You do not need a booster to build a credibility, you just need to start by applying to jobs with few bids ( up to 15 ) so a client will read yours, offer perks to clients, after a few jobs you'll get badges like Rising Talent, JSS and eventually Top Rated. It's not so unimaginably hard as you seem to think. In fact, it builds you up for worse things that can happen on the way. Like having your JSS tank. Will you then be for 'boosted' JSS where Freelancers buy top-rated badge for a few days? 😄

I have already got the RT badge and my JSS is technically a 100% based on the 1 job I did, but of course it won’t be showed until I do few more. And I don’t think badges and JSS is a big deal at this stage, because you got millions with badges and JSS over 90%, maybe even in the same category. So, in what order would you list profiles for clients to invite? And we both know, there is nowhere on earth is overlooked more than the second page of Google search, and maybe that could be one of the reasons you find ads on the top of their search results!😄

Farag S wrote:

I have already got the RT badge and my JSS is technically a 100% based on the 1 job I did, but of course it won’t be showed until I do few more. And I don’t think badges and JSS is a big deal at this stage, because you got millions with badges and JSS over 90%, maybe even in the same category. So, in what order would you list profiles for clients to invite? And we both know, there is nowhere on earth is overlooked more than the second page of Google search, and maybe that could be one of the reasons you find ads on the top of their search results!😄

Your JSS is not technically anything before you have one. It is not based on the 5 star public feedback, just so that you know. It's based on private feedback. 

I know, it’s not visible even to me in my stats at this stage!

Farag S wrote:

I know, it’s not visible even to me in my stats at this stage!

It is not visible because it doesn't exist. 

JSS in your case is not simply 100% and hidden, it's non-existent, you won't be included as a match to any client that put in JSS score as a criteria ( most do and above 90%). JSS is a big deal, take it from someone who had a rollercoaster of JSS ride. When it tanks you will have a hell of time getting back, way worse than a newbie. Some clients look for newbies specifically, there is nobody looking for a bad Freelancer 🤭 

True, and I actually won’t be found with any criteria in Upwork search, even if you narrowed down your search filter to my very specific preference, you will just get no results at all. I hope it’s just a bad search algorithm or something, and not intended by Upwork. The only way for anyone to find my profile is if they searched for it with my name.

I also try not to involve in a project would hold my early score or rate, but one can’t be very picky either in this massive competition 🙂

martina_plaschka
Community Guru

I'm sure you remember that the response was overwhelmingly negative from experienced freelancers. The ones who liked it were unqualified newbies. 

Well, I just looked yesterday and discovered that. And again Martina, “unqualified” “newbies” … really?!

Yes. I think we should trust that clients are able to look through the proposals they receive on their own, without being misled by people willing to put 10, 20, 30 or more connects on a job just to appear on top. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS