🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposal denied but client continued with int...
Page options
66036a6d
Community Member

Proposal denied but client continued with interview

Hi,

I'm very new to the community and have a weird feeling about the situation I am in. I submitted a proposal which got an immediate response requesting an interview that would be conducted via Line. 

Prior to the interview Upwork said my proposal was denied and the job was closed, but the company (**Edited for community guidelines**) proceeded without any reference to Upwork. I proceeded to complete an interview via text chat on Line and a link/form with interview questions and receive a decision in about an hour with a job offer to join the company (seems like circumventing upwork).

In addition to the description changing from the initial post, the pay rate has changed a few times. This is making me very skeptical about the position. It is no longer available to flag so I'm not sure what steps there are to check this. A few other differences between what I can find online and the transmitted documents I ahve received are setting off red flags. 

I have screenshots of all conversations with the company and all documents they have sent me.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Christopher M wrote:

Prior to the interview Upwork said my proposal was denied and the job was closed, but the company (Orthomol) proceeded without any reference to Upwork. I proceeded to complete an interview via text chat on Line and a link/form with interview questions and receive a decision in about an hour with a job offer to join the company (seems like circumventing upwork).

did they want to send you a fake check to buy some imaginary office supplies with by any chance?

If the job post has gone they've already been removed for a policy violations.

66036a6d
Community Member

Yes, I called the number provided for HR. They gave a poor answer for why they could not pay through Upwork, and did not have any answers for other discrepancies in this process. They also would send me a check from them or their investors (by email??) to purchase office euipment.

I guess this was an unlucky first go on Upwork for me but I will keep trying! Thanks for your help!

Christopher: 

Not entirely "unlucky."

You learned about the most common scam on Upwork, and you didn't lose any money.

Some freelancers lose thousands of dollars to these scammers. You are fortunate that nothing really bad happen to them.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for flagging this for us, Christopher. I've checked and the job you're referring to has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members