🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Proposal ranking
Page options
ab98d50e
Community Member

Proposal ranking

Hello there,

The 'get more help' button is not working, why?

Recently, I am noticing a thing in my proposal history part. I submit a job and immediately when it shows you 'proposal submitted' it indicates maybe 5-10 proposals. After I go back few minutes to check how far they are, I find its updated to 20-50 proposals. I am new and still learning the app, so kindly tell me,

1. how do I know how I rank among the proposals sent? Is it the first response of 5-10 or the second?

2. Does the second mean the total number of proposals sent so far or how yours rank?

Thank you.

Millicent.

9 REPLIES 9
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hello Milicent, being the first one to submit a proposal doesn't necessarily mean that it will be in the 1st rank. Proposals are ranked according to Upwork's "Best match" algorithms and client's filters. For example, someone may submit his proposal at the 30th position and can still be ranked in the top 10 best match proposal that the client sees.

The only advantage that you get from applying early is that if the client is in a hurry, he may check the proposals submitted in the first 30 minutes, for example, this could increase the probability that your proposal gets noticed.

I hope this helps. Best wishes,

Youssef

Can you please share the Upwork proposal ranking algorithm?

Ahmed H wrote:

Can you please share the Upwork proposal ranking algorithm?

What do you need it for?

Mean what are the factors that Upwork consider while ranking proposals?

Ahmed H wrote:

We don't know. 

Ahmed H wrote:

It has been pointed out repeatedly that whatever the factors are, they privilege no-history accounts, and highlight freelancers whose skills offered bear no relation to the skills sought. Freelancer ranking and recommendation have all the appearance of randomness; it seems unlikely they're systematic enough to be gamed worked to one's advantage.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Millicent K wrote:

1. how do I know how I rank among the proposals sent? Is it the first response of 5-10 or the second?

2. Does the second mean the total number of proposals sent so far or how yours rank?

5-10 and 20-50 are the number of people who submitted proposals, and yes, it's possible for a project to get 20-50 proposals within a few minutes. These numbers have nothing to do with rankings, and there isn't any way to know how high up your proposal will rank. 

I guess Upwork rank proposals according to the previous job that we did.

advjuna
Community Member

No, I have found that Upwork ranks those proposals too in which freelancers had no previous job experience and zero earnings. I guess it is all based on how effective you have written your proposal in which all the requirements of a job are fulfilled.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members