🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposal
Page options
9d65e5c3
Community Member

Proposal

Hi there!
I'm a newbie on this platform, with no reviews, no jobs at all.
The question I'm here to ask is that, in order to build my profile with bunch of positive reviews, should I provide huge discounts to engage clients? What I'm trying in my proposals right now is to tell them that I'll do 20% of their job free of costs and just as a sample, if they like my work quality, they can ask for the rest.
Is it OK to do such kinda things?
3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Maria A wrote:
Hi there!
The question I'm here to ask is that, in order to build my profile with bunch of positive reviews, should I provide huge discounts to engage clients? What I'm trying in my proposals right now is to tell them that I'll do 20% of their job free of costs and just as a sample, if they like my work quality, they can ask for the rest.

It is ok from an upwork ToS point of view, but the question is if it's a good business strategy, and it might be ultimately meaningless to offer 20% off of an amount that needs to be negotiated anyway. 

It's best to know your worth and stick to it, IMO, but it's your business and you can run it whichever way you want. 

robin_hyman
Community Member

Please don't work for free. It makes it ok for clients to ASK for free work. If you like, you could do a small test project for a fee. If you and the client have a good experience, the client can give you more work. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Maria A wrote:
Hi there!

Don't do it. As Robin says, a client will then assume he or she can get free work and it is not doing you any favours financially. Also in your category, this sort of response will attract every scammer going. Just keep bidding wisely, and only go for  the jobs you know you can do and above all, that you want to do. 

Also do read all the help articles on Upwork to help you avoid pitfalls. 

ETA: Start here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members