cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposals: 0.00 Hourly Rate, Rate Tip

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
1 of 29

I just accepted an invite to interview and this is what I saw under "Terms." Can a mod please let me know if that pre-filled "0.00/hr" is a bug or intentional? And the rate tip?

rates.png

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2 of 29

When I get one of those, I fill in the rate I want to bid for the job. At the top, it reminds me what the hourly rate is on my profile and the Rate Tip is (supposedly) and indication of what others are charging for comparable work. I take the latter with a grain of salt.

Community Guru
3 of 29

@Phyllis, no offense, but I didn't accept your post as the solution - lol, wonder who did.

Of course, I filled it out too to accept the invite, but I have never seen it set at $0.00 before and am wondering if this is a new thing or bug. I also haven't seen the rate tip feature in a while so I assumed it was discontinued. Hoping a mod can clarify.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
4 of 29

The 'accept as solution' feature puzzles me--sometimes it seems to activate on its own.

I can't honestly say whether I always see it set at $0.00 or not. Your screenshot looked totally familiar when I first glanced at it but once I started thinking about it... I do know that the Rate Tip only appears sometimes. I've assumed it's algorithm driven and have never been interested enough to keep track of when I see it and when I don't.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
5 of 29

I think it's always been prefilled at $0.00 so that the freelancer has to type in their rate. It would be nice if it were prefilled to the hourly rate we have showing on our profiles, but it seems Upwork wants to encourage us to inflate that number according to yet another algorithm (which is always WAY off base, in my opinion), so I can't imagine they'll change it.

Community Guru
6 of 29

@Jess C wrote:

I think it's always been prefilled at $0.00 so that the freelancer has to type in their rate. 

Definitely not the case for me. Up until today, I've always had it pre-filled with my profile hourly rate, except for a couple of times when there was a bug.

Obviously this is not a big deal, but it's a strange change that makes things more inconvenient (for me anyway). I hope they change it back ... and concentrate on more important issues. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 29

I very rarely bid on hourly jobs, but I'm pretty sure that when I do, they are pre-filled with my profile rate and I have to alter that field if I want to bid a different rate.

If that changed to always being blank until filled, I guess that would be fine, but it should be consistent.

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
8 of 29

Hi Isabelle,

I can confirm that Phyllis is correct. The rate is set to $0.00 since it is for you to propose the terms. Your own profile rate is on the left and the rate tip is a feature we have that suggests a certain rate based on our data of what you could charge for your services, although it is up to you to consider that rate or charge something different. You can read more about the rate tip feature here.

~Nina
Community Guru
9 of 29

Thank you Nina ... so this 0.00 pre-filled thing is new I suppose? Because I have never seen it before and I've been applying for jobs / accepting invites on a regular basis.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 29

Isabelle, thanks for bringing this to community attention. In my experience, the field was usually filled in with my profile rate, so now I'll have to pay more attention to it. I at least hope that if it's not filled in, then an error message will be displayed if you attempt to submit the proposal.