cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Proposals are still jacked.

Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
1 of 34

As of 10:45 am pst proposals are still not showing.

Have a great day!

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
2 of 34

Around the time the thread titled "Proposals are still jacked" was started (approx. 1:45pm. Aug. 19th EST USA), I accepted an invitation; thus, submitted a proposal. The proposal does show on my Proposals page. I appear in the client's list of "Proposals," which used to be called "Applicants." Maybe when it was changed from "Proposals" to "Applicants" is when the displaying of proposals problems started.

It is important to note that initially my name appeared in the client's list of "Proposals" as a result of the invitation. Therefore, whether or not it appears now as a result submitting a proposal (application) is unknown.

NEW PROBLEM: With all invited freelancers appearing in the client's list of proposals as a result of the client's invitations, how do freelancers know how many applicants (competitors) actually exist since invitations do not always result in applications?

ADDED Aug. 20th: There has been a change on my freelancer's Profiles page. Now, there are three sections: Active Candidacies, Invitations to Interview, and Submitted Proposals (Only "Invitations to Interview" and "Proposals" were there before; at least on my Profiles page). Accepted Interviews are now moved to the Active Candidacies section descrined as: "These are proposals that you are discussing with a client" -- a welcome change. The "New Problem" mentioned above still exists.

Community Guru
3 of 34

NEW PROBLEM: With all invited freelancers appearing in the client's list of proposals as a result of the client's invitations, how do freelancers know how many applicants (competitors) actually exist since invitations do not always result in applications?

I applied for 3 jobs this morning. One is showing on my proposal list. 2 are missing. Oh well.

Yes when a clent invites individuals it seems to me you have not chance and you wasted your connects.

I know i have been invited and see others bidding and feel bad for them.

I woud say we have NO chance with client inviting freelancers. Not sure why job even gets posted?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 34

@Stephen R wrote:

Yes when a clent invites individuals it seems to me you have not chance and you wasted your connects.

I know i have been invited and see others bidding and feel bad for them.

I woud say we have NO chance with client inviting freelancers. Not sure why job even gets posted?

I have won contracts against invited Freelancers .... More than once!

Just because a client invites a few people does not mean he can't find something better amongst the ones that apply.

Maybe he just didn't SEE them to invite them when originally doing the invitations.

Also the invited freelancers may decine, or turn out to be not as good a fit as the client thought.

The fact that a client invited people would never put me off, he may just have clicked on the links in the email he got suggesting freelancers to invite....

--- ---

Community Guru
5 of 34

I have won contracts against invited Freelancers .... More than once!

Just because a client invites a few people does not mean he can't find something better amongst the ones that apply.

Maybe he just didn't SEE them to invite them when originally doing the invitations.

Also the invited freelancers may decine, or turn out to be not as good a fit as the client thought.

The fact that a client invited people would never put me off, he may just have clicked on the links in the email he got suggesting freelancers to invite...

Petra, I don't apply to jobs with Client invites.

But you are correct. You can get the job if you are more talented and the client has has the ability to understand who has the better skills.

I prefer to stay away. Some clients prefer a certain price range or country. Factor in Client history and pay rate and usually i move on.

Your profile is not public. What type of work do you do?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 34

@Stephen R wrote:

Your profile is not public. What type of work do you do?

How weird, it's set to Upwork users only, you're the second one to say it is "hidden"  in 2 days...

Lemme set it to public. Done now!

I translate, write, edit and manage  teams.

Smiley Happy

Community Guru
7 of 34

I feel like i am in a sailboat in the middle of the Pacific and i have no wind.

No Upwork messages, invites, proposals or wind. Dead calm.

Boy I sound sad.

I will make no more proposal, Upwork is offically jacked!

Anyway Petra, i still can see your profile. Upwork is keeping you hidden.

Maybe its another bug?

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 3.46.28 PM.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 34

Petra, I thought the "hidden" folders were no longer in use. Maybe, maybe not...I forget for certain what the status is. Anyway, for some the profiles still seem to be missing.

Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
9 of 34

Ronald T:

I see you are experienced and very successful here on the Upwork platform.  

Could I ask you to grant a favor: to share your perspective with those of us who have selected Upwork as a place to do business, and setup fairly recently?  I cannot find anything in the usual places, e.g. Twitter feeds, discussion forums, announcements, etc.

My questions are:

- Is this type major outage something that happens on a regular basis?  Or is it a one-time event?  

- Does it appear to be related to their integration with eLance?

- There are other major bugs concurrent with the breakdown of matching clients and contractors, things like my portfolio order shifting randomly.  Has the Upwork site stable?  Did it become unstable when eLance and ODesk combined?

Whatever perspective you feel comfortable sharing would be appreciated, since Upwork is not communicating after 5 days.  All I get from their support team is a polite "we're aware of the problem and working on it".  They have not provided me with telephone support privledges yet. 

If you don't choose to answer, I understand and of course that's no problemSmiley Happy

Thanks! 

Steve B.

PS, Of course feedback from others experienced with Upwork is welcome too.

Community Guru
10 of 34

Steve B:

Your questions are:

- Is this type major outage something that happens on a regular basis?  Or is it a one-time event?

As a seasoned [old...lol] veteran of the Internet, from the days when Archie and Veronica were still in diapers, I must say that Upwork (and previously oDesk) is one of the worst websites I have dealt with. More specifically:

Connectivity issues and outages are common. Additions, deletions, and changes often result in new bugs due to a lack of effective software quality assurance practices. Upwork communication with members is fragmented, lacking, and untimely. Nonetheless, fortunately, problems like the one with proposals are rare.

- Does it appear to be related to their integration with eLance?

No, the oDesk platform exhibited the same lack of effective software quality assurance practices.

- There are other major bugs concurrent with the breakdown of matching clients and contractors, things like my portfolio order shifting randomly.  Has the Upwork site stable?  Did it become unstable when eLance and ODesk combined?

Again, no, before the merger the oDesk platform exhibited the same lack of effective software quality assurance practices. Actually, I believe the oDesk site started to become more problematic around 2012. Members can still access the old oDesk forums from before the introduction of this "Community" [forum] platform. From the old forums, some of the same members reporting the same and new problems that those members ares still reporting today.

By the way, I appreciate your comments; however, I have not been "very successful here on the Upwork" since around 2012 and before due to the changes in policies and practices implemented by oDesk (now Upwork). Finding the best jobs and quality clients on Upwork has become a chore--too time consuming--poor, non-relevant search results. My work off-Upwork has been far more lucrative.

Will things here change for the good? I hope so; however, I see little evidence that it will.

Archie and Veronica? See "The lowdown on Archie, Gopher, Veronica and Jughead" at http://www.netlingo.com/more/gopher.php

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS