Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposals are still jacked.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 34

@Ronald T wrote:

....As a seasoned [old...lol] veteran of the Internet, from the days when Archie and Veronica were still in diapers, I must say that Upwork (and previously oDesk) is one of the worst websites I have dealt with. More specifically:

Connectivity issues and outages are common. Additions, deletions, and changes often result in new bugs due to a lack of effective software quality assurance practices. Upwork communication with members is fragmented, lacking, and untimely. Nonetheless, fortunately, problems like the one with proposals are rare.

Ron,

Thanks for the perspective. I'll take the occasion to repeat that all the problems you describe were endemic to Elance, as well. New arrivals who complain—justifiably—about reliability have no basis for claiming Elance's superiority in this regard.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
12 of 34

Thanks for the insight Douglas. I was never too successful on Elance so I never really got a chance to experience the pros and cons. It's not coming back, but I still miss the old oDesk circa 2012 and earlier. It was there when I really needed it. I'm thankful for that.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 34

@Ronald T wrote:

Steve B:

Your questions are:

- Is this type major outage something that happens on a regular basis?  Or is it a one-time event?

As a seasoned [old...lol] veteran of the Internet, from the days when Archie and Veronica were still in diapers, I must say that Upwork (and previously oDesk) is one of the worst websites I have dealt with. More specifically:

Connectivity issues and outages are common. Additions, deletions, and changes often result in new bugs due to a lack of effective software quality assurance practices. Upwork communication with members is fragmented, lacking, and untimely. Nonetheless, fortunately, problems like the one with proposals are rare.

- Does it appear to be related to their integration with eLance?

No, the oDesk platform exhibited the same lack of effective software quality assurance practices.

- There are other major bugs concurrent with the breakdown of matching clients and contractors, things like my portfolio order shifting randomly.  Has the Upwork site stable?  Did it become unstable when eLance and ODesk combined?

Again, no, before the merger the oDesk platform exhibited the same lack of effective software quality assurance practices. Actually, I believe the oDesk site started to become more problematic around 2012. Members can still access the old oDesk forums from before the introduction of this "Community" [forum] platform. From the old forums, some of the same members reporting the same and new problems that those members ares still reporting today.

By the way, I appreciate your comments; however, I have not been "very successful here on the Upwork" since around 2012 and before due to the changes in policies and practices implemented by oDesk (now Upwork). Finding the best jobs and quality clients on Upwork has become a chore--too time consuming--poor, non-relevant search results. My work off-Upwork has been far more lucrative.

Will things here change for the good? I hope so; however, I see little evidence that it will.

Archie and Veronica? See "The lowdown on Archie, Gopher, Veronica and Jughead" at http://www.netlingo.com/more/gopher.php

lol I love to see the old timers. Smiley Happy

I was an old school Usenet troll. I miss those days!

I'm guessing they have a lot of things that need to be fixed, and they are stuck in that place that's not fun to be in. Lots of bugs, department heads screaming, and they are forced to "fix" fast and often. Implement strict change control and fixes are deployed slower, and the business won't allow it.

At Citrix, they had two meetings a week where at least 1 team member had to attend a change control meeting that was basically "Why did this system break and what did you do to fix it?" So, like 20ish people in a room among peers and execs explainiing their screwups, and it if the director had a problem, he had no qualms about calling you out. Made for fewer mistakes but more finger pointing. I, being the sweet talker that I am, was  the noob voted to be the rep for my team.  I hated those meetings.

It's really hard to move from "have lots of bugs and need to fix them fast" to a stable environment unless you put deployment times on lockdown and add lengthy testing time. I'm assuming they shortcut it to fix problems fast. The problem just keeps escalating since there is pressure to fix fast but weak QA to stop it from continuing.

Feel bad for the devs. It's a tough environment to be in!

Community Guru
14 of 34

I relate to everything you said Jennifer. If they have adequately established and documented policies, procedures, and work instructions for change control, then, possibly they are not following their own requirements. Some of the problems that resulted from changes seemed to be examples of a complete lack of any formal change control processes having been put in place. I do not think they even have a Quality department in the conventional sense (especially one that runs an audit function) . If they do, it has no "teeth."

Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
15 of 34

Ronald T,

THANKS for the education!  That brings me up to speed.  Sorry to learn that the Upwork platform is a long-term buggy mess.  I was hoping this is a short-term situation with their platform remaining broken-down day after day, due to their merger with eLance.  

If there was some good news in there though, it is that this 6-day breakdown in Upwork's core functionality is not commonplace.  But this morning they announced it is fixed, and as far as i can see it is not.  

I do notice the a good quantity of project 'total budget estimates' seem to be $10-$50 and that a lot of the clients have paid their contractors and average of $3-$5 per hour. It does take a lot of time to wade through it all. 

I am not an expert in user interface design, but what's the hey?  Like in this user forum?  Trying to track threads I feel a bit like I'm using AOL dial-in BBS and it's 1988Smiley Happy

I will remain optimistic... Smiley Happy  Thanks again for stepping up to give a relative newcomer some perspective on what's going on here. 

Steve B. 

Community Guru
16 of 34

Steve B.

Regarding the proposal issues, I'm still not sure if everything is fixed or not. When you get chance to use the NEW messaging [chat?] system for communication between freelancers and clients, I would be interested in learning about your thoughts on that. Actually, I'm still not sure if everything is fixed with those features either. Following things on this NEW forum (aka Community) gets a bit cumbersome sometimes.

Ron

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
17 of 34

Wondering if anyone has an update. I don't have that message that was on the Job Feed page all day yesterday. I was gone most of the morning and am not sure what is the latest.

Dare I bid? I have seen a couple of interesting things today.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
18 of 34

One I submitted on Monday is still lost.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 34

At this point I am not sending proposals for jobs, nor am I posting any jobs as a client. I have not seen any kind of announcement from Upwork to give us the "all clear."

I hope that when everything is back to functioning properly with regards to the display and delivery of job proposals, that Upwork will provide a very noticeable announcement to tell us so.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
20 of 34

@Preston H wrote:

At this point I am not sending proposals for jobs, nor am I posting any jobs as a client. I have not seen any kind of announcement from Upwork to give us the "all clear."

I hope that when everything is back to functioning properly with regards to the display and delivery of job proposals, that Upwork will provide a very noticeable announcement to tell us so.

<big sigh> Hear, hear!

And if they don't, bad dog!

<ahem>

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS