🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposals ignored
Page options
hv2292015
Community Member

Proposals ignored

I wonder why my proposals are still being ignored by clients even after having the status of top rated and 100% JSS????
11 REPLIES 11
rafsun_ug
Community Member

Same here! And I thought, this is happening only with me! But after visiting community, I have found that many of the TR Frellancers are having the same problem from a couple of months! Don't know what is happening here? But I hope, it should be solved very soon! 

yitwail
Community Member

Ms S wrote:
I wonder why my proposals are still being ignored by clients even after having the status of top rated and 100% JSS????

Was your hourly rate always $40/hr? Maybe clients think you're too expensive to hire.

@John K: My hourly rate is $65 an hour and it's not stopping clients from hiring me.

Usually when clients receive a large number of proposals, they will tend to not read them all, no matter how amazing yours is. Are you writing your letters to each client to outline their project and how you may help complete the project or are your proposlas cut and paste? For the first two months of my freelance career I cut and pasted my proposal, that got me zero jobs. When I started writing to the client that's when I started getting jobs. Look at your proposals and see if they're ones that will stand out, also DON'T write long letters.

Gerald S wrote:

@John K: My hourly rate is $65 an hour and it's not stopping clients from hiring me.

Usually when clients receive a large number of proposals, they will tend to not read them all, no matter how amazing yours is. Are you writing your letters to each client to outline their project and how you may help complete the project or are your proposlas cut and paste? For the first two months of my freelance career I cut and pasted my proposal, that got me zero jobs. When I started writing to the client that's when I started getting jobs. Look at your proposals and see if they're ones that will stand out, also DON'T write long letters.

Good for you & good advice, but you're not doing Data Entry like Ms S.

Gerald S wrote:

You are not offering the lowest skill on Upwork (data entry) at $ 40 an hour, while working at a fraction of that. Setting a profile rate that is a multiple of your real rate screams "fraud!"

And your "profile rate of $ 65 an hour" looks breathtakingly ludicrous when you work at less than a third. This will lead any reasonably intelligent client to get mad as hell seeing that you work at a small fraction.

How do  you think a client who pays $65 an hour will feel seeing that you happily work at and below $ 20 an hour and less?

Smart clients will make sure they are not conned by people who artificially inflate their rates. You just have to hope your clients are really dumb enough not to notice...

21c9da18
Community Member

I'm afraid, my friend, it's because the hourly rate of a serious professional who pay taxes in a western country are too high compared to freelancers from other countries. Probably Upwork is not the right market for us.

tlsanders
Community Member

Others have touched on this, but as someone who has hired many freelancers across many years, I wanted to add that when I see someone whose posted rate is much higher than the rate associated with actual jobs, I interpret this to mean one of two things:

1 - The freelancer knows her work is only worth $9/hour, but is trying to trick me into paying more by setting a much higher fake rate to negotiate from (shady--I don't want to work with that person), or

2 - The higher rate is actually appropriate, but the freelancer is so unsure of her ability to provide valuable services that she's willing to work for 75% less (I need a freelancer who is competent and confident, so this is an automatic rule-out)

hv2292015
Community Member

this is very disappointing.... I'm bidding on fixed price projects ranging from $5 to $25 but still find no consideration.

Ms S wrote:
this is very disappointing.... I'm bidding on fixed price projects ranging from $5 to $25 but still find no consideration.

Perhaps you should consider adjusting your profile rate to reflect your actual rates. That may be putting clients off before they even read your overview.

re: "I wonder why my proposals are still being ignored..."

The skill you are offering is "data entry."

That's why your proposals are being ignored.

You are competing against hordes of other entry-level people offering the same service, often for lower rates.

Nobody here wants to be rude... but "data entry" is the lowest rung on the ladder. If you are serious, you need to "level up."

yeasir_arafat_13
Community Member

$40/hr for "Data Entry" job is way too high and you're are working much less than that rate!
You should lower your profile rate to your original rate or at least something near to it.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths