🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposals ignored
Page options
hv2292015
Community Member

Proposals ignored

Why did a client change the job post status as "invite only" after 24 hours? I applied for the job when it was open for all the freelancers to apply. I lost my two valuable connects. It's not fair. It's really disappointing and disheartening that I bought 10 connects for $1.50 but couldn't win any job till date. And I'm also worried about my profile status as "private". Upwork is my only source of income and I work hard honestly and sincerely to make my fortune but now it seems I'm loosing.
4 REPLIES 4
florydev
Community Member

Ms S wrote:
Why did a client change the job post status as "invite only" after 24 hours? I applied for the job when it was open for all the freelancers to apply. I lost my two valuable connects. It's not fair. It's really disappointing and disheartening that I bought 10 connects for $1.50 but couldn't win any job till date. And I'm also worried about my profile status as "private". Upwork is my only source of income and I work hard honestly and sincerely to make my fortune but now it seems I'm loosing.

I can't read their mind but the client likely changed it to private because they found someone they liked but have not ultimately decided not to hire.  I hired once and found someone I really liked and forgot to do this and someone applied that had not real shot.

The private thing only prevents you from being invited and you can get it switched by asking here in the community or clicking the green button here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003975967-Profile-Changed-to-Private-

I will flag your post so that a mod can come along and do it for you.

Yes, that is what I do when I post jobs.

I typically use a public job posting, and as soon as I think I have found all the freelancers I need for the project, I turn the job posting to private. That way I provide a benefit to freelancers who haven't applied yet and are not likely to get hired, because they won't use their time and connects to apply to an unobtainable job.

It is also beneficial to me as a client, because I don't have my time taken up by additional job proposals and notices.

I can still make the job public again if my hires of offers don't pan out.

What typically happens is that my first batch of invites and hires are able to do a great job on the project. So I close the job entirely.

I am able to do this because I am familiar with how Upwork works. I am certain that many, many clients do the same. But not all.

Freelancers should be aware that some clients, whether out of a lack of concern, or more likely due to unfamiliarity with the site, may post jobs and hire (or not hire) without making those jobs private or closing the job posting.

So, yes... it is possible for connects to be used when there is no real possibility of being hired. An unfortunate truth.

The clients who make their jobs private to prevent freelancers from wasting connects are not a problem.

petra_r
Community Member

Ms S wrote:
Why did a client change the job post status as "invite only" after 24 hours? I applied for the job when it was open for all the freelancers to apply. I lost my two valuable connects. It's not fair.

Clients often set jobs to "invite only" when they have enough freelancers to choose from.

It has no effect on your proposal, it just means the client does not want MORE proposals.

re: "Upwork is my only source of income and I work hard honestly and sincerely to make my fortune"

You may want to reconsider the "only source" part of your strategy.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members

Upcoming Events
Jun 25
Crafting Your Compelling Story
Talent Toolbox English