🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Proposals voided after going through veri...
Page options
2d693880
Community Member

Proposals voided after going through verification process??? Absolutely terrible business practice.

What do you know... I just found out that after going through the verification process all my proposals were voided and I don't get those connects back. So after charging me to apply to jobs they revoke that money after I go through the verification process and I get nothing for that.

So along with all of Upworks other terrible business practices such as:

- Exorbitant platform fees
- A forced TOS agreement keeping you binded to those platform fees
- Slow loading times
- **edited for Community Guidelines** rates

I have now basically just had my money stolen. Really curious to see how this is defended by the community "moderators".

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

James B wrote:
What do you know... I just found out that after going through the verification process all my proposals were voided and I don't get those connects back.

That's not quite what happened though, is it?

You were asked to do the ID verification and failed to do so within the 7 day deadline. That's when your account was put on hold and the proposals voided, no?

So the suspension was not due to having gone though the verification process, but due to not having done so in time.

2d693880
Community Member

I'm not really sure that's justification for revoking something I paid for though. I'm an engineer so I know full well it would take little effort for Upwork to reinstate the proposals once I verified my account.
But then how would they force people to buy more connects 😂.

It's a terrible and shady business practice ethically.

People have active lives and don't always check their email. Penalizing a *customer* for missing an email is terrible practice especially when they paid for a service to be rendered. And in this case the freelancer is the customer.

I just find it funny you're defending this.
petra_r
Community Member

James B wrote:
I just find it funny you're defending this.

I am glad I amused you, but you are mistaken. I am not defending anything, I merely pointed out the reason why what happened has happened. You won't find any "defending" there, just cold, hard facts. Your initial post was (deliberately?) misleading.

James B wrote:
People have active lives and don't always check their email.

For a whole week?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi James, 

I would like to add to what Petra has shared. Proposals aren't withdrawn automatically when a freelancer is asked to verify their identity via a video call or by submitting the required documents. Proposals are only withdrawn automatically when a freelancer's account is suspended. In this case, since you missed verifying your account within the specified period, your account was temporarily suspended, which was lifted when you have completed your verification.

Similarly, freelancers can continue working on their active contracts even if they've been requested to verify their identity and even with certain types of suspensions. 

Just the same, I will share your concern with the team for their reference.

~ Avery
Upwork
2d693880
Community Member

Hey Avery,

I appreciate that. I will say that some of my issues with Upwork have been getting better over time. It's just frustrating when this is all there is out there and it seems like the rough features are so slow to change. I know it's hard to run a company that caters to tons of users in the way Upwork does, I just feel like things could be done so many different ways.

I will probably share my thoughts in a more productive manner when I'm not frustrated.

Thanks
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths