Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting new freelancers

Highlighted
Aleksandra L Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
1 of 15

Hello,

I want to file a complaint against a client. First, the client has a photo of a girl on Upwork and a photo of a man on his gmail address. This guy, **Edited for Community Guidelines**, insists on me  sending him a completed, transcribed file before making a job offer. I even did a test and sent it to his email as he requested. He also insisted on communicating through email messages only. I told him several times to make a job offer first but he avoided doing that making all sorts of excuses. 

When I checked the activity for that particular job post, it seems that there are 33 interviews but he hasn't hired anyone ever since he posted this job. Do you sanction such clients? Do you, at least, warn them no to do that? I am aware that he hasn't done anything that is against the Upwork rules, but I still think that you should protect new Upwork freelancers from people like he/she is because this person is playing  around with 33 people at the moment.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 15

I wish Upwork would inject some common sense into people. He insisted that you do work before you had a contract. You've got free will, right? There's this little word called "no."

Blaming Upwork is just lame. Suck it up as a noob mistake and move on. You've learned your lesson the hard way.

Highlighted
3 of 15

I'm not blaming Upwork. I know freelancers can be as fraudulent as clients. 

I guess I'm just not used to such people. Anyway, I said no to him.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Wendy H Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
4 of 15

that was harsh and not too supportive of a new freelancer asking for guidance

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
5 of 15

@Wendy H wrote:

that was harsh and not too supportive of a new freelancer asking for guidance

Welcome to the Community Forum.

Highlighted
Marina A Member Since: Mar 15, 2016
6 of 15

It's okay. Smiley Happy I will survive the 'community help'. One of these guys, Vladimir G, I think, gave me some useful instructions.

Thanks

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 15

Hi Aleksandra,

Please share screenshots of your communication with the client outside Upwork and your identity-related suspicions with Customer Support, so our team can review and take appropriate action. Our advice, especially to new freelancers, is not to start working without an active contract and at least one Milestone funded in case of Fixed-Price jobs. 

New users should also read the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and "A Freelancer's Guide to Upwork" before using their account to bid on jobs. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

Highlighted
8 of 15

Okay, thanks for your prompt response. I will send the screenshot of the conversation to Upwork Support.

Highlighted
Adhanet P Member Since: Mar 7, 2016
9 of 15

This happened to me too......... twice already the profile doesn't match the client............ I only get to find this out after writing the proposal

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
10 of 15
First of all asking / doing free work before the project has been awarded officially, itself against ToS of Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS