sharonmre

Protection for Freelancers

There is zero protection for freelancers on Upwork. I was just forced to return $160 dollars to a previous client who never paid that amount. it remained in escrow and was never released to me but because her bank recalled the amount, I had to pay it. Before that another client accidentally pressed the wrong button and had no idea he had requested a refund. He called and we both tried to rectify the mistake but communication was so bad with upwork that they closed the dispute by making me refund the client for a job I successfully completed. Upwork does not even try to represent, defend or protect freelancers.

9 REPLIES 9
holland-jared

I am a new freelancer myself and I have just experienced my first client who just won't communicate and now there is a "hold on the contract". This work was completed on the 4th of November and even after it was approved by the client it's "on hold"? Come on Upwork. 

Upwork needs some quality customer service. I know there are people in this forum, but there's no one to actually reach out to for help. Automated messages aren't going to work for me. 

Hi Jared,

I see that the agent has already addressed your concern and explained that the payment was made and should be in your available funds on the 14th, ready for withdrawal despite the hold. The team is working with the client to address issues with their account.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sharon,

@Sharon M wrote:

Before that another client accidentally pressed the wrong button and had no idea he had requested a refund. He called and we both tried to rectify the mistake but communication was so bad with upwork that they closed the dispute by making me refund the client for a job I successfully completed. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I checked and it looks like you were paid on the contract you are referring to here back in March. The team has notified you about it via a ticket.

As for the most recent issue, unfortunately it looks like the payment was reversed because it didn't qualify for the Fixed-Price Protection. We will not be able to share more details here in the Community, but the team will provide as much information as they can via the existing ticket.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have been here over 7 years and never had this problem.  You are the owner of your business. Use common sense, read the forums, do your due diligence and you won't have this problem.  You are in control. If it smells bad, it's not worth the headache.  You have to decide what is best for you.  

If someone askes for 50-99 freelancers it is about 99.9 percent a scam

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Sharon, there are thousands of websites which invite people to earn money using their site.

Upwork is one of the safest out of all of them.

But you need to know what you're doing.

Newbies need to either read the directions or accept the hits gracefully while learning from mistakes.

I have paid tens of thousands to Upwork and when it came to protect me from scammers, the answer (a template one, as usual) could be translated into "you're on your own, we couldn't care less".

Luckily, it only happened to me twice (should have NEVER happen). The OP is correct, there's no protection for freelancers, unless you call their so called "independent service" a protection (for which you have to gracefully pay $400 on top of the 20% bite they take from everybody's earnings). 

@Fabio D wrote:

Luckily, it only happened to me twice (should have NEVER happen). The OP is correct, there's no protection for freelancers, unless you call their so called "independent service" a protection (for which you have to gracefully pay $400 on top of the 20% bite they take from everybody's earnings). 

Nothing like a bit of twisting of the facts, is there?

it is, of course, abject nonsense to claim that there is "no protection." on Upwork.

For properly logged hourly contracts there is virtually airtight protection for those who want it (and log their hours according to the terms.)

The vast majority of fixed price disputes are settled amicably, where this is not possible arbitration is an option and costs just under $ 300 for each of the 3 parties, not $ 400 as you claim.  As a true scammer will never pay for arbitration it is pretty safe to say that an honest freelancer will win by default in such cases by paying the arbitration fee, waiting for the scammer to not pay it, and getting the arbitration fee back and all the funds in Escrow released to them.

As far as the 20% fee is concerned, another dramatic twisting of the facts considering that the  bulk of your income is from 10% and 5% fee contracts.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fabio,

I see you're referring to the two disputes you had, which were both settled amicably with funds being released to you. As our agents confirmed on both tickets, Upwork will not make a determination and arbitration by a neutral third party service is the final step in resolving a disagreement. I can confirm Petra's reply that the arbitration fee is $291 for all three parties (Upwork pays the fee as well), as posted on your tickets.

Untitled
lysis10

The only people who want Upwork interferring with what people **Edited for Community Guidelines**