🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Provided terms for client contract
Page options
kathi-reynolds
Community Member

Provided terms for client contract

I had a client find me on Upwork. We discussed work on a voiceover project for his company and agreed on a price. No work was done for that project yet, and then he contacted me again but this time discussed different work, for which we agreed on another price. But now he is asking me to write up my terms of the contract that he can use when he hires me for the work. Does this sound right? Are freelancers expected to do this? If so, I have no idea what "terms" I would ask for. And I believe I shouldn't do any work until there is a contract in place?

Anyone have thoughts? I need to know soon, since he said he is on a tight deadline.

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You have already discussed the terms, you can say you will start working as soon as there is a contract which is what you should always do. And explain they need to propose the terms on their end because that is how the platform works, when you get the offer review it and if there is anything wrong you can propose new terms, all the while you can discuss everything with them.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
andreag22
Community Member

If you have never worked with that client before you can't propose a contract to them. They have to make you an offer with the terms. Those are if it's hourly or fixed, the price, due date if it's fixed, the limit of hours you can work per week if it's hourly, those kinds of things. 

I appreciate your response, Andrea. I don't think he wants me to propose a contract, just tell him what terms he should put in the contract. Or is that like proposing a contract to him? I'm getting confused! Smiley Sad

If you discussed a specific price for the work then he needs to offer a fixed price contract and the terms are mostly just the price which you can divide in milestones with different due dates or just choose to pay for the whole project once it is ready.

So do I specifically have to tell him that he needs to offer the fixed price contract based on the terms we agree upon? I'm trying not to overstep any boundaries.

You have already discussed the terms, you can say you will start working as soon as there is a contract which is what you should always do. And explain they need to propose the terms on their end because that is how the platform works, when you get the offer review it and if there is anything wrong you can propose new terms, all the while you can discuss everything with them.

Thank you, Andrea. I really appreciate your help with this! Smiley Happy

I am a freelancer.

I always provide the terms to my clients.

I write up a description of the tasks and the prices. I send these to the client Messages tool, and the client copies and pastes those to make the official Upwork contract,

This is not how all contracts are handled, but it is normal.

Thanks, Preston! Good to know!

"I write up a description of the tasks and the prices. I send these to the client Messages tool, and the client copies and pastes those to make the official Upwork contract,"

Preston, so just how do you do that? How do you send them the terms? Is it posted in your profile somewhere or do you have a document that you send?

Thanks

Woody

WoodyG Y wrote:

"I write up a description of the tasks and the prices. I send these to the client Messages tool, and the client copies and pastes those to make the official Upwork contract,"

Preston, so just how do you do that? How do you send them the terms? Is it posted in your profile somewhere or do you have a document that you send?

Thanks

Woody

You simply reply to the last message with the details you agreed upon.

Ahhh ok. So as a voice over artist, When I customer sends in an order, before I accept it, I would want to communicate any expectations (terms of service) at that point. Sounds as if I do that then I would not be liable and can refuse to accept the job. Is that about right?

Woody:

Yes, before you accept a contract you should communicate your terms and expectations to the client.

And, yes, if these terms are not acceptable, then the other party does not need to accept them, and does not need to agree to a contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members