cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Feedback for Unpaid Jobs

Ace Contributor
Shahzad A Member Since: Feb 11, 2012
1 of 6
Hi there, There are three different clients I have worked with in past. Its been a long time neither they paid me nor responded to any of my messages. I do understand and respect the oDesk policies regarding fixed time contracts (i.e. no help is provided in such cases) I think there is only a way to get rid of this continuous headache that is to end these contracts but here comes another issue. A freelancer can not give his/her feedback until a transaction is not made against the contract. Now, if I end the contract without getting a single penny I will lose the opportunity to tell others about my experience. It is my humble request to oDesk to slightly change the procedure if a contract is ended due to the reason "Client failed to pay" by collecting PUBLIC FEEDBACK and showing it on clients profile. Your suggestions are welcomed and I'm looking forward to get a positive response from oDesk Team.
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
2 of 6
Even if they do not allow comments to be made on such contracts, they should have a simple automated feedback text that says "Failure to Pay" even if there are no stars that are calculated against their score. This does also raise the issue of certain contractors abusing the same system when theu either fail to deliver and the client doesnt pay, or deliver copied, or other such substandard work, that also gives the client the right not to pay. On the same note, if this is put in place for clients, that means that it will also have to be in place for contractors. So, if a client has not paid you, or you have refunded the amount, they will still be able to leave an automated text notation on your profile, even if it does not affect the total star rankings. There is always ways to abuse things on both sides, and in the end, it would be the contractors on the site who suffer more than the clients-so think about that too.
Ace Contributor
Shahzad A Member Since: Feb 11, 2012
3 of 6
[quote] Even if they do not allow comments to be made on such contracts, they should have a simple automated feedback text that says "Failure to Pay" even if there are no stars that are calculated against their score. [/quote] It is really a nice way to reach out to the folks. Thanks for this great suggestion! [quote]This does also raise the issue of certain contractors abusing the same system when theu either fail to deliver and the client doesnt pay, or deliver copied, or other such substandard work, that also gives the client the right not to pay.[/quote] oDesk has strict policies against the free work done in any form. Clients can pay less to teach a lesson and then also have the opportunity to express their viewpoint as public feedback. Ending a contract without making payment due to substandard work can not be fair because on the other side a freelancer has given his/her time to do this job. oDesk does not file a dispute for poor quality of deliverable even if it is an hourly job. Again in such situation, client has an option to criticize while leaving the feedback. [quote]if a client has not paid you, or you have refunded the amount, they will still be able to leave an automated text notation on your profile, even if it does not affect the total star rankings.[/quote] This seems quite fair and I completely agree.
Martina O Member Since: Jan 17, 2012
4 of 6
I completely agree with this, i have many clients and some clients i have worked with on multiple jobs who have not paid, no longer respond. I have done more than even contracted for with client who i have been working with for a while has said they will pay the extra on the contract, they are up to today still using my work, i sent screenshots of conversations all evidence possible to odesk for them to say the client account has been suspended but they can still hire and work as normal? Whats the point of suspending, when one of the clients finally replied odesk they agreed and said they will pay and up till now...no payment.
Umberto C Member Since: Sep 17, 2011
5 of 6
Hello, I subscribe to the request to have the option to leave feedback for unpaid jobs, albeit in consideration of the opposite reasons as well. See my related post here: https://www.odesk.com/community/node/34810
Reliable and affordable Drupal and Wordpress development. Linux server administration.
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
6 of 6
I agree. If clients fail to pay for completed work then this information should be displayed on their profile page. I understand that oDesk currently monitors such activity, but I think more could be done. When some freelancers do not receive all of their money, I've seen them make mention of this using the feedback system, but not all freelancers will do this. I've seen a lot of posts in these forums where freelancers mention that they haven't been paid. As mentioned in the original post, if no money is exchanged then the freelancer can't leave feedback. Although, I would always suggest that freelancers request some sort of upfront payment, (even as little as $1.00) this would at least give you the power to leave some feedback.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS