Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing the video tutorials before the merger

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 21

A freelancer sent me a private message on the community forum today and asked for my advise on why they weren't lucky to get their proposals accepted recently though they have over 170 completed jobs on Upwork... And then I thought of sharing some maths with you!

Upwork promised earlier in this forum that they're preparing to launch an Upwork University containing video tutorials on how to use the platform for both freelancers & clients. This is essentially helpful for everyone, especially that I personally (and many are like me) love to see what does the client see exactly on their screen in the hirign process, so we can optimize our future proposals accordingly.

So since announcing the merger, many freelancers reported lots of spamming jobs or jobs where nobody is accepted for work. But are they really spam? What's the chances of let's say, those spam postings are in fact initiated by freelance oDeskers who want to know more about the hiring process for the client? Then what if part of those are by Elancers who had no idea neither about oDesk nor about Upwork and they also needed to know more about the hiring process to optimize their proposals?

But hold on a second, what happens when a sea of Elancers come to this platform after 38 days from now to invade the platform & do unlimited tests and Try&Errors to understand how this works out... And then the curios ones posting jobs again to see how the hiring process works?

Listen I have no real stats on whether what I'm saying is even close to reality... But a little gene sitting in my mind tells me if Upwork isn't going to post the Upwork University videos soon, things might get really messy in the next few weeks.

They call me crazy you know... but I've been clever enough to convince the people at the madhouse that I'm normal so they let me out.

Best regards,

Wassim

Highlighted
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
2 of 21

Wassim , You might want to retitle this: 'The (uneasy) calm before the storm.

The phrase 'Commiting suicide' might not help a lot freelancers  who might not have the nerves of steel which I think you have.

But then back to the issue at hand , you are right when you say a lot of 'Trial and Error' might be going on - but you underestimate the human capacity to adapt to and survive these scenarios- so things might not get as messy as you think.

I want to believe the platform has been scaled to accomodate the newcomers.

Sometimes, 'the more the merrier' might just have an element of thruth to it. 

If it does not , it might just be time to upgrade those skill sets and move higher up the ladder.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Collin D Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
3 of 21

If it's the same message that a lot of people are getting, it's literally a freelancer threatening to commit suicide if the platform doesn't give them work soon.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
4 of 21

tumblr_mhnq7z0WIQ1r9f991o1_500.gif

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
5 of 21

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket!

Try to create a side business so that you're not dependent on Upwork.  

When you're not working, learn something!  There's a TED talk that explains that you can learn to do something moderately well in only 20 hours!  Learn psychology, marketing, and business because it's helpful for finding work and maintaining positive working relationship with clients.

TED Talk:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgBikgcWnY

If you don't stand out among the applicants, then you might need to find another job that might be more suitable for your skill-set.  

A flood of new talent isn't really a concern for everyone.  Mainly for those who need to work on improving their skills!

Best regards,

Daniel

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 21

Change the title. That's disgusting and dangerous considering what many here are experiencing.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariam Fatima Z Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
7 of 21

The title made me uneasy but sounds more like click bait once you open the thread...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
8 of 21

Jean & Mariam, 

Thanks for the advice. Title changed as requested. 

Best regards, 

Wassim 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian E Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
9 of 21

This was the most random group of responses I've ever seen and none were even remotely on topic or with any pence of worthiness besides the first response.

That said, I agree but at the same time I've never used a single odesk or elance blog posting or reference material. They're done by non-affiliated or proven online freelancers most of the time. A review of either site's blog posting show delusional business scenarios, client pandering in detriment of your own business and sometimes just people looking to self-advertise for their own ad marketing presence.

That said I do agree that the videos should have been and in all honesty well before the merger. Obviously turn-over is occurring on both ends and a lot of downsizing and reorganization, which happens with any acquisition, but it looks like the relaunch of the site occurred with no thought to any development.

You look at every software level in the market and there's always internal, alpha and beta testing. It's always controlled and done with an educated test sampling matter. My 5 page websites alone can take 2 hours to test on all platforms and make sure there's no CSS rendering conflicts or JS/PHP conflicts.

Considering all of this was done and they knew they were going to migrate domains makes it all the more bewildering. As to the university part of odesk I'm just gonna use my savings to wait for 1-2 more months and see what else is linted and changed by the company before even making an attempt.

I mean when you get a survey saying how you feel about us charging 22% instead of 10% it tells you we're all just a part of the testing grounds for this company for the next few months.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 21

Brian,

The initial responses were not "random." You are missing the context for the valid concerns expressed in the first few posts. They were not off the topic as originally stated, and also make reference to earlier posts on this forum.

Best,
Michael

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS