Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing the video tutorials before the merger

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian E Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
11 of 21

I think we're splitting hairs on this one. All the post were actually concerning the original post's title and I did mention not all post were random. It was more an observation going down the list of responses. No one that saw Wassim's orignial title will have any idea what this topic is about. 

Point in case:

@Ramon B. wrote:

I have no idea what the original post is about,  but anyone who claims they'll kill themselves just because they can't earn a pittance online needs to get some dignity and sense of proportion. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 21

If it's Upwork/Elance inviting you, you'll know.

Also, it will be a zoo when Elance closes off new jobs. That's why I wanted to get a head start. Instead of begging them to stay, I'm more of an adapt or die person. So, I'm hoping I can pull out some of what I usually do and figure stuff out. Smiley Happy

170 connects and no wins. Man that's tough. It goes through my mind too that it could be me. 

That bottle of wine is looking so awesome right now.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Roman M Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
13 of 21

Hi Jennifer, 

I think he meant someone who has over 170 completed jobs ( not 170 spent connects ) cant find jobs recently.  Which is odd since he is a proven veteran.

I read somewhere that how clients view proposal is quite different now. They wont hide profiles anymore but clients can view 10 proposals only ( not sure how they are sorted out, order of application or rotational priority etc ) at a time and can decide whether to view another 10 again, and another as so forth. So the approach of how we apply will definitely impact this change. Well I am learning again since I havent sent a proposal for 1.5 years because I merely work through invites and when they changed the Algo for that, well I guess you know what happened lol. Ive sent 14 proposals, 1 hire, 0 interview lol. 

One thing I learned in this platform. Being the best is not enough. You need timing and luck at your side as well.  And continue courting the clients you have, so you wont lose them to someone else. 

//////////////

Michael is correct. This is a pilot program at the moment.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
14 of 21

If the proposal limit comment is true it's the smartest decision in the world. But only if the client was limited to fully viewing 10 proposals, which different than seeing the bids, which should all be viewable. Why? 

This is the con argument:

I want to see everything! It's not fair.

Real world application:

95% of people have no idea what they want. More options causes more confusion. When everything is free everybody wants it. When there's no direction to a situation it just causes unlimited dormant actions and repeated behaviors. Force people to choose and then they're forced to think because there's consequence to the action.

For anyone arguing this take the client who you haven't offered unlimited to revisions to and compare them to the person you've told only gets 2 to 3 rounds of revisions. I guarantee you'll see more defined answers, feedback and an expectation from the client of what to expect.

If you don't then either your client is walking all over you or just had an uncormfortable conversation where you had to kindly tell them the rules of project and that now they have broken them. Always pick the latter. It helps you out and educates the client to be more proactive and more thoughtful/careful in their decisions and observation of work.

Sidenote: I'm for differing opinion but if a response to this is simply "I'll hurt my clients feelings" then one person definitely shouldn't even be in business (hint: it's the emotional one). Money, business and contracts don't come with emotion-handles for you to carry your work in.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Roman M Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
15 of 21

Well my comment about continuously trying to court your client meant that you continue doing your best for them. You still exceed their expectations and try to instill to their mind that you are the person they need when they have a job. I try to be friends with my clients, but I dont over familiarize myself to a point that I would think I can skip a deadline because we are buddies. 

Let them know from time to time you are available if they have a project if you haven't talked to them in a while. Sometimes people think its a weakness and desperate when you follow up on projects or prospect jobs but sometimes showing a little interest makes a difference. 

I dont take my clients for granted, and they do the same to me. If a client tries to walk over me, I step aside let them go to someone else. It takes two to tango or err I mean its takes....you know what I mean. Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
16 of 21

Keeping established connections open is always a great move. I was more referring to clients being overwhelmed with options and not being focused in initial project postings.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 21

@Roman M wrote:

Hi Jennifer, 

I think he meant someone who has over 170 completed jobs ( not 170 spent connects ) cant find jobs recently.  Which is odd since he is a proven veteran.

I read somewhere that how clients view proposal is quite different now. They wont hide profiles anymore but clients can view 10 proposals only ( not sure how they are sorted out, order of application or rotational priority etc ) at a time and can decide whether to view another 10 again, and another as so forth. So the approach of how we apply will definitely impact this change. Well I am learning again since I havent sent a proposal for 1.5 years because I merely work through invites and when they changed the Algo for that, well I guess you know what happened lol. Ive sent 14 proposals, 1 hire, 0 interview lol. 

One thing I learned in this platform. Being the best is not enough. You need timing and luck at your side as well.  And continue courting the clients you have, so you wont lose them to someone else. 

You are right. Wine+writing exam questions all day for someone = no reading comprehension. lol

The invite thing has me worried too. I used to get invited a lot. Mainly, I think, because I was holding steady at #3 in their list of tech writers. Now, I feel like I'm starting over. I feel like bidding on Elance now is like hanging out in a cemetary where ghosts just won't let go. lol

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 21

@Roman M wrote:

I read somewhere that how clients view proposal is quite different now. They wont hide profiles anymore but clients can view 10 proposals only (not sure how they are sorted out, order of application or rotational priority etc) at a time and can decide whether to view another 10 again, and another as so forth.

Roman,

@The format you describe has been verified by @Garnor as a pilot that is expected to become the norm. I don't know enough about Upwork to characterize the 10-item list as being "bids," "proposals," or something else. We have no information about how Upwork chooses the 10 items shown, or the x-10 items effectively hidden.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
19 of 21

I have no idea what the original post is about,  but anyone who claims they'll kill themselves just because they can't earn a pittance online needs to get some dignity and sense of proportion. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
20 of 21
I would rather Upwork document its procedures—e.g., the secret method of converting hourly jobs to fixed-price—before spending apparently strained resources on videos.

Best to all,
Michael
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS