cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzled new freelancer ...

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
1 of 3
Hi all, I am pretty new here, since July 11th, but I'm already starting to have some concerns about Odesk. I'm a translator, English to French. Thus far I haven't had the first job which could mark the official beginning of my freelance activity here. I understand, of course, that you have to be patient. I have worked on my profile, took some tests, spent time to write cover letters and sent bids (31 as for now) for jobs I was interested in. Still no job, but I'm patient. However, when I see what clients are paying for translation jobs, I really wonder if Odesk is the right place for a translator. I cannot understand how can one charge 1 cent per word and make a living out of it. Honestly I'm puzzled. It's not just few clients, it seem to be the standard price range over here. I'm wondering what you get for such a low price, I would really love to read some of the translations you get for 1 cent a word.
-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 3
It can be hard sometimes to find higher paying roles, Rene, but they are out there. Some clients do not have an understanding about what they should pay. You have to be consistent with searching for roles within your required pay scale. I think after a while you'll find some good clients and will build a good profile. It's early days. Stick with it.
Ace Contributor
Jennifer H Member Since: Apr 30, 2012
3 of 3
Unfortunately, oDesk is notorious for having cheaper clients. I take about 1/4 as much work on oDesk than what I did a year ago. I've found that places like Elance and Guru have a better pool of clients who are willing to pay what good writing is worth. There are definitely some great clients here, but they are few and far between.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS