cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pyramid scams in Upwork

pedro-velez
Pedro V Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
1 of 25

So I received a normal invite to do basic Wordpress websites: **edited for Community Guidelines**

I accept and submitted my proposal. But then, after some days I've received a very weird message that sounds like a scam. Of course I didn't even respond and I'm considering reporting this to Upwork, but I would like to change make this as something of a warning, both to Freelancers and Upwork itself.

This was the message I received on the interview phase:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

If we are now having this as a constant, it might be worth pointing out that connects are being lost in this process.

What measures does Upwork have in place to take care of this?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 25

Report it to Support,

If they take the job posting down (whichit probably is already) you get your Connects back!

Check in your Connects History, you will see them as Connects that were added back because Upwork killed the job posting.

View solution in original post

codersaiful_com
Community Leader
Saiful I Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
3 of 25

Yes, this is a mater of concern. Need response from Up work.

~ Saiful, Upwork Freelancer
Be honest, works will looking for you.
sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
4 of 25

Connects are not used when you are invited to jobs. 

sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
5 of 25

Upwork scans every job posting. I guess, you'll be receiving an email from them regarding this job posting. 

pedro-velez
Pedro V Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
6 of 25

I'm not too worried about this one, since I was invited, I didn't spend any connects.

I'm worried about the amount of job postings that might get through Upwork filtering process, whatever it might be.

As freelancers, we put our time into writing proposals and making sure it is the best possible. If this turns out to be common to happen, its a waste of time imposed on us.

Nowadays is easy to get like 5 jobs out there, get a reliable rating as a client and then pull a scam like this.
I'm not the kind of person to fall for this, but there could be upworkers in danger of getting pulled in to this kind of scam.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 25

LOL I'd send info just so I can troll the hangout. Bomb the chat or something. ha

It's the little things that amuses the me.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
8 of 25

Looks like the kind of message you usually get on those mile long web pages where they're ghetting you to sign up for their must have scheme. The kind with a "but wait... there's more!" special offer, and you get a popup when you try and leave asking you if you're sure. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 25

are you surrrre you want to leave???? ARE YOU SURE?????? For only $100 you can learn how to make millions online by just sitting in your pajamas and playing video games all day.

Google started taking action against sites that hijack the back button. Thank god. Those sites are annoying. I haven't found one in a while. The ajax popups are annoying though and everyone uses them. 

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
10 of 25

I've been playing video games today. First time in ages. Call of Duty Ghosts, it was only 10 Euros. No pyjamas though. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS