🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » QUESTIONABLE jobs.
Page options
m_terrazas
Community Member

QUESTIONABLE jobs.

I have sent a message to a mod with a search for jobs that, when sent, had 27 jobs written identically and that asked to enter the client's APP.
Now there are 57. Is something going to be done or do we stop reporting these things? If something is not done immediately, why bother?

22 REPLIES 22
tagrendy
Community Member

I have stopped reporting long ago, with the amount of scams, it's unpaid work to continue reporting them. 

Tatevik G wrote:

I have stopped reporting long ago, with the amount of scams, it's unpaid work to continue reporting them. 

If I find one or two, I flag them. But I will not flag 58!
That's why I sent a mod the search link.

hglewis
Community Member

Hi Maria,

Here's what got me to stop flagging jobs for the platform permanently.

When I returned to the platform last year, after taking a year off, I began seeing bogus jobs almost immediately.

And like I did from 2016 to 2020, I'd flag the jobs. But over the course of 2021, many of those jobs were not removed. But in December, here's what permanently ended my part in helping spot and flag jobs and realized my efforts were fruitless.

I saw a job where the poster wanted the freelancer to leave the site without submitting a proposal and apply for their position off the platform, and they provided a link to their application.

I flagged the post, and after a few hours, nothing happened. So, I flagged it again, and after a few more hours,  still, nothing happened.

After several attempts to get this job removed over the course of two days, the job was never taken down or edited, so the freelancer didn't have to leave the platform to apply.

Why wasn't it ever removed? I can only speculate. This client has spent over $1,000,000 hiring freelancers. When I searched their job histories, each job description had the same application link that took the freelancer off the platform to apply for the job without first submitting a proposal.

I've seen this happen both online and off when the client(s) spend great sums of money; the rules for those below will not apply to them.

moonraker
Community Member

I stopped flagging after I flagged somebody asking for nudes, and it was still there 14+ hours later the next day. It might still be there now if I didn't bring it in this forum.

If something so blatantly wrong isn't dealt with then why should I bother?

Yup. 'Flagging' posts is a waste of time because Upwork does absolutely NOTHING with it.  I remember many months ago when I would 'flag' a post, I would get an e-mail from Upwork that said "Thanks for flagging.  We've taken action..." and the post would be gone within an hour or less, normally.   I haven't gotten one of those e-mails from Upwork in many MONTHS - like 6 months or more - because they simply just stopped doing anything with the 'flagged' jobs and just leave them up there.  I've reported posts where people posted email addresses, phone numbers, street addresses, bitcoin 'wallet' codes or were asking freelancers to assist with illegal activity, and all of those posts simply STAYED there.  Upwork did nothing.  There is plenty UW can do to PREVENT scammers from getting on the site to begin with, like VERIFYING their identity and payment method/bank account, the same way they do freelancers,  or use "AI' filters to prevent posts from going 'live' that contain email addresses, phon numbers, etc, but they simply REFUSE to do anything pro-active to prevent it. 

Even if you tell Upwork  there are "58" posts just like that, they might take the ONE down that you 'flagged' (If you are lucky!) and will leave the other 57 up there until somebody 'flags' all of them.  Even then, it might be hours, days, weeks, or months before they do anything with the 'flagged' job

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I stopped for awhile for all the reasons others have spoken of, but started again. I'm going to make whomever checks these and takes them down at least pretend to do their job. But from the number of scam and spam posts, it'd take an army of people to go through all the flags.

jr-translation
Community Member

And then there was the time you flagged job posts and hours later you got an email saying that it has beed reviewed and if necesary action have been taken, but without any reference to the job so you never knew if it was taken down.

toddterry
Community Member

I stopped flagging and wasting my time, it's not my job to do this. Anyway, they won't do anything with spam because we are wasting our connects and buying new.

sofia2008
Community Member

I recently flagged a few jobs, and received the email saying « Thank you for flagging » ... and was asked to provide more details, (even if the job post was displaying phone number, email, telegram details).

They were not refering to a specific job post. I mentionned I flagged a few so I did not know which one they were asking about.

I was asked for exemples, so I sent screenshots with details highlighted (ex.: phone number, email, telegram, etc...) I was then asked for the links to the jobs...

I provided 40 links... I then receive a thank you note saying they investigated the job posts and took the appropriate measures...

After reviewing those 40 links, half of the posts became «Private» and half of them remained...unchanged.

So I reopened the ticket. 

Update on my earlier post. Most jobs are not «Private», and 2 are no longer available, but contact details are still very much there.

m_terrazas
Community Member

To update, I received a reply yesterday from the mod I reported the job listing to, more than a day after submitting the information. It will escalate the problem.
Today, the job listing has 54 jobs.
It seems that nothing has been done, right?
Let's say the job itself is just questionable, but 54 jobs alike? Isn't this spam?
It is also quite suspicious that one of the requirements is "Mobile device for Looking into Application"

Are they still there?

No.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Well, another list of questionable jobs.

57 job advertisements with high budgets for "retype documents".
Sent to mod.

cassajoy
Community Member

This is starting to sound like an inside job - because really, what the heck is going on. What is truly making it so difficult for Upwork to do their part

I just received a direct offer, without an option to flag. The first two (small) paragraphs sound alright, and then, suddenly the writing and voicing completely change. There is a link to "download details. human verify required (NOTE) without human verify please don't message Only serious people Our system work on software so before inbox me please kindly complete human verify"...

...but I'm supposed to just let it be? It's not a real client yet they apparently "hired" 8 out of 7. I guess I'm the one 'active'. It's not about saving the other people going for the offer. It's about the platform.

Hi Cassidy,

I checked and there should be an option to report the message you received. You should be able to see the report option once you click on the gear icon in the right corner. Here is a screenshot for reference. You can also find more information here

I will also share your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

~ Nikola
Upwork
cassajoy
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

Thank you!

I completely missed that tiny gear icon. Report sent!

Obvioulsy a scam.

No doubt. It came in as an offer and even the title sounded like a job you would find on a job search engine. I knew once I received the offer, it probably was a scam, haha.

ariannydelvalle
Community Member

Hello, I'm new, how can I communicate with a Mod? tell me the route is there someone who has already done it
the job twice and you only paid once and you want me to do it again for that one payment. I want to report

So this is a payment issue rather than reporting a suspicious job post? Can't you solve this yourself by telling the client that you won't do the job unless you're paid? They can't force you.

Hi Arianny,

It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the terms of further engagement on the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

If you need further assistance feel free to click on my name and send me a PM with more information and I will be happy to assist you. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members