🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Quality and amount of clients
Page options
jade__digital
Community Member

Quality and amount of clients

Hello Upwork community, 

As a top-rated Upwork freelancer, I expect to see clients knocking down my door! I worked so hard to get my top-rated status only to 1) not get any contracts 2) have projects sent to me that aren't in line with that I'm looking for. 

Am I missiong something? 

8 REPLIES 8
tlsanders
Community Member

It seems like maybe you're missing the fact that there are huge numbers of top-rated freelancers on Upwork and it doesn't really mean all that much.

I just did a quick search for US freelancers offering inbound marketing services, and 49 of the first 50 who showed up in search were top-rated. 47 of those had JSS higher than yours. 

When I limited my search to inbound marketing freelancers in the US with JSS > 90%, I got more than 350 results. 

So how do I stand out? What do you recommend?
a_lipsey
Community Member

Evelynn J wrote:

Hello Upwork community, 

As a top-rated Upwork freelancer, I expect to see clients knocking down my door! I worked so hard to get my top-rated status only to 1) not get any contracts 2) have projects sent to me that aren't in line with that I'm looking for. 

Am I missiong something? 

I am very curious where you got the expectation that clients would be knocking down your door? 

It would be easy too understand that expectations might run away some if a person earns a badge like "top rated". But top rated into any other normal job and you would likley see a greater demand for those services or goods. 

I don't understand.
petra_r
Community Member

What Tiffary said... Being top rated is nice, but most of your competitors are, too.

Additionally, your profile overview is written in the third person, which is a major turn-off for a lot of people. I'd rewrite it in the first person if I were you

Preston doesn't mind profiles written in the third person. Preston thinks they are perfectly fine.

Such profiles are definitely better than second person profiles.

l think there is a time and place for third person or first person. On my company website and on my clients'websites where they list me as a consulting staff member, my profile is in the third person, because it makes sense to be. 

On Upwork, a profile is in many ways directly speaking to the viewer, and, to me, makes more sense to be in the first person, due to the context. I agree with Petra that, in this context, it can be off-putting to clients to be in the third person. Especially considering the impersonal nature of hiring someone remotely and possibly with no phone or in-person contact, only through text, giving the impression you are human can help connect with clients.

It does not mean one is better stylistically than the other or more well written. I am simply saying that from a marketing view, you market yourself better here by using the first person, IMO. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths