cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of clients on Upwork

solangebas2013
Ace Contributor

Hi everyone! I've just moved from Elance to Upwork. I have been sending some proposals, just 6 and although I do not expect to get a contract so soon I was a little surprised by the average hourly rates paid by clients.

For most it shows around USD 4/5 an hour, some USD 10... but not higher... I know some of them might be willing to pay higher for a PM, but it's a little shocking anyway. I even found one offering USD 3/hour.

Is it viable for more senior and expensive freelancers to work on Upwork? (By expensive lets say over USD 30 an hour, although I don't consider that expensive) What has been your experience so far?

40 REPLIES 40
chris_macartwork
Community Guru

...welcome to world of Upwork!

Yes - there are higher paying clients on Upwork. They seem to be greatly outnumbered by the very very low budget clients.

You just have to wade through the low budget projects and find the higher budget ones. Best of luck.

Let's hope that many many Elance clients make the transition to Upwork and are not overly tempted to reduce their budgets too.

I don't expect Elance clients who migrate here to reduce what they pay. If they wanted, shall we say, a different price/quality paradigm they could have got that on Elance as well, so it's safe to assume people who pay sensible rates on Elance have a reason for doing so and will do the same if they move to Upwork.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
lindseyhgregory
Community Leader

It took me two months to find one client that was well within my wheelhouse and paid well. I agree, you just have to wade through the muck, and there is a lot of muck. Yikes.

That said, I'm guessing the quality of clients is closely related to the quality of providers here. I remember years ago like maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I first heard of oDesk and I thought, hmmm hey I could maybe find some work through here. I was seeing projects for like $1 an hour. A DOLLAR! So I went to Craigslist and started getting some work through there - believe it or not. Did that for two years before I'd heard about Elance and really was able to get my freelance career going. 5 years later and I'm back at oDesk.:manfrustrated Woman Embarassed

We have come full circle. 🙂

Once they start forwarding people to here, I'm hoping it will be better. Their only real competitor is Freelancer and maybe Guru.

They gotta fix those bugs though. That's a customer killer.

Hi Jennifer! Do you have any experience or knowledge about Toptal? I was recently accepted however, I'm way out-classed by the hard-core coders there. I'm contemplating whether to compete with them or not.

Ron aka LanWanMan

@Ronald T wrote:

Hi Jennifer! Do you have any experience or knowledge about Toptal? I was recently accepted however, I'm way out-classed by the hard-core coders there. I'm contemplating whether to compete with them or not.

Hi! I just saw this, and no I have not tried them. I'm hesitant to do coding projects at these types of places because I don't do design and I worry about taking on something that will blow up on me. Technical writing is more chill and specifications are usually better defined. So many people who rattle off their "next facebook" idea and expect you to do the "cheap" part. They think their idea is the hard part!

I agree. I remember checking out ODesk too... It's the mix that frightens me... not all my clients are willing to come to Upwork. But lets' hope that once Elance is down they still see the advantages of hiring through a platform.

I'm still concerned about the differences. On Elance you have some PM hirings for USD 15 or 20, but they're not the majority. Here you have many freelancers charging lower rates, so that might be tempting.

I guess I'll have to wait and see... in the mean time I'm starting to explore other channels. But I'll keep trying.

Thank you all for the great advice and tips!

I'm currently researching and watching some writers on here who are charging over $100 an hour to write for companies. I've never had any problem with jobs over $40 an hour but then you do need the necessary experience, history and feedback that backs you up. That doesn't happen overnight. If freelancers continue to undervalue their services then they can expect low pay and many who will hire you.

oneblacksheep
Active

I'm having the same sticker shock as the OP. Wow, the quality of clients here is horrible. People listing jobs requiring "Expert" level of knowledge and paying $5/hr. Seriously? A search for Wordpress jobs turns up maybe 1 or 2 that are within the budget of what I will work for and also I'm finding jobs that were posted 3 months ago that are still open. 

I'm looking to find another resource for new jobs. I have been very successful on Elance for 3 years, so it's not that I haven't spent the time and energy to cultivate a good client portfolio on Elance. Upwork gave me some Rising Talent badge and Top Rated ranking, but it does no good when there are no quality jobs for professionals here. They should call this lowhangingfruit.com

Anyone finding success elsewhere?

Hi Cindy,

If you do find another resource for jobs, where one can get quality clients willing to pay well for quality work. Please share. Thanks

@Anne M wrote:

Hi Cindy,

If you do find another resource for jobs, where one can get quality clients willing to pay well for quality work. Please share. Thanks

Try Google. This is not the place to ask that question. 

Let me try to give you the viewpoint of an Upwork freelancer that started some time ago to offer its services also on Elance. 

I have not been able to get a job on Elance; with regard to my fees on Upwork, you can have a look at my profile here.On the latest project I applied the contract was awraded to a company offering USD 195. 

As I have reviewed most of the other freelancers that apply for similar jobs as I do, I would say that, first, this guy is not on Upwork and, second, most of the people I really compete with charge several times more for the same job.

I would say, the clients are more or less the same, the freelancers also. And most of the freelancers are the same on Upwork and Elance, so I see no reason something to change. It is about clients that could not look for "value for money" and freelancers that do not offer value for money, only low costs. And clients that appreciate your experience and the insight you can bring. What is diufficult is to distinguish ones from another when applying for a job. And it is the same at Guru, Freelancer, Elance, Upwork, you name it.

Why isn't this a place to as the question? It's a group of people discussing and dealing with a very a specific issue. In addition, I've written several times to Upwork asking if they were going to address the growing concerns in the community and I get standard canned responses and instructions on how to be successful as a freelancer. It's very patronizing.

@Jean S wrote:

@Anne M wrote:

Hi Cindy,

Try Google. This is not the place to ask that question. 

@Anne M wrote:

That's a nice sentiment. One supposes though, that a freelance who finds a high-paying client offering a great job will... well... just take it.

@Cindy S wrote:

....People listing jobs requiring "Expert" level of knowledge and paying $5/hr. Seriously? A search for Wordpress jobs turns up maybe 1 or 2 that are within the budget of what I will work for and also I'm finding jobs that were posted 3 months ago that are still open.... 

Cindy,

You seem to imply that this is not the case at Elance. We must be in different fields.

Best,

Michael

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Cindy S wrote:

....People listing jobs requiring "Expert" level of knowledge and paying $5/hr. Seriously? A search for Wordpress jobs turns up maybe 1 or 2 that are within the budget of what I will work for and also I'm finding jobs that were posted 3 months ago that are still open.... 

Cindy,

You seem to imply that this is not the case at Elance. We must be in different fields.

Best,

Michael

No, that's not what I implied.  All I'm saying is that I'm finding very few quality clients here willing to pay for Expert level knowledge. 

If we want to compare to Elance, I would say there are far fewer job listings here with budgets in the range of what I work for.

I would like to ask those of you who have your profiles hidden how to you expect those expert jobs to find you if you are hiding your profile? They won't!

I suspect people are doing that because it's the only way they can hide their earnings here.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell

I understand wanting to hide earnings, but at the same time they are complaining about lack of expert clients. I have been invited to jobs in the past that the job was a private invite only and the job was not posted for anyone to apply to. Some of the better jobs on here are invite only. You will be sent an invite, but if they can't find you they can't invite you.

So I guess my remark has to do with you can complain all you like but if you don't have yourself available and public you are going to struggle looking through the jobs.

I've given up looking through the jobs. I'll just see what happens with invitations. I've had one already and I've only been here since May.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS