Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of job posts have dramatically decreased

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mateo R. S Member Since: Dec 13, 2018
11 of 69

...Guess i was being racist then... lol i meant people from certain parts of the globe...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 69

That's no change. The vast majority of jobs have always been ridiculously underpriced, and people have been exclaiming about it like it's a new issue for years. 

It just doesn't matter. There may be 100 bad jobs or 1,000 or 1,000,000 and it doesn't impact your prospects at all--it's the number of good jobs that matters. And, though the percentage is low, the number is pretty solid.

Highlighted
Community Leader
13 of 69

I respectfully disagree:

there are not the same number of clients/freelancers 5 - 6 years ago, and today, heck! 1 year ago! So, numbers you are talking about have dramatically lowered, Upwork is even aware of that, as for freelancers they say they take more than 10,000 proposals to become an Upwork freelancer.... DAILY...  they accept around 1,000 maybe... ONE THOUSAND new freelancers DAILY, clients are the same...
I have been a client in the past, i hired a freelancer succesfully. Then a few months ago i went ahead and logged in as a client and posted a job i wanted to do, for some reasons it didnt happened, but i realised how easy it is to post a ¨FAKE JOB¨ (not that mine was though) So, anyone literally can enter and post a job, that will never be concluded, it becomes trash floating around, so the amount of bad job porposals can go skyhigh, people who dont even have the money to do what they say they want... So yeah.. It definetely affects us.

Freelancers that has 1,000 years working on Upwork have already a good client list, and get a couple of invitations here and there, have no problem with all this, but the ones that are new, or relatively new, like myself, i worked before when it was oDesk, and left it, and back again for several months now it is really a struggle.

Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 69

Jesús Mateo R wrote:

I respectfully disagree:

there are not the same number of clients/freelancers 5 - 6 years ago, and today, heck! 1 year ago! So, numbers you are talking about have dramatically lowered, Upwork is even aware of that, as for freelancers they say they take more than 10,000 proposals to become an Upwork freelancer.... DAILY...  they accept around 1,000 maybe... ONE THOUSAND new freelancers DAILY, clients are the same...
I have been a client in the past, i hired a freelancer succesfully. Then a few months ago i went ahead and logged in as a client and posted a job i wanted to do, for some reasons it didnt happened, but i realised how easy it is to post a ¨FAKE JOB¨ (not that mine was though) So, anyone literally can enter and post a job, that will never be concluded, it becomes trash floating around, so the amount of bad job porposals can go skyhigh, people who dont even have the money to do what they say they want... So yeah.. It definetely affects us.

Freelancers that has 1,000 years working on Upwork have already a good client list, and get a couple of invitations here and there, have no problem with all this, but the ones that are new, or relatively new, like myself, i worked before when it was oDesk, and left it, and back again for several months now it is really a struggle.

But, other than the comment about the increase in freelancers, everything you are saying is exactly what freelancers have been saying for years. There's always something you can tie it to. The truth, though, is that people who don't bid on low-end jobs with crappy pay aren't affected at all.

Highlighted
Community Leader
15 of 69

I don´t bid low proposals, and we ARE affected by it. It´s no JUST low rates, it´s about jobs that are not real, scammers, frauds, fake accounts, bought accounts... etc... all of that creats a really cluttered and busy site.

Tell me something, when you started out freelancing on Upwork, or oDesk... was it easy? wasn´t it frustrating to post and post and post and nothing? you spend your connects on jobs that ended up not being real, so that´s where we are, if Upwork could help us a little it would be great, i really look forward to the changes on the connects schemes, but i really hope they also do something on the clients side, maybe, funding first, then posting the job? to ensure client is real?....

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 69

I'm not sure whether you're talking to me or not, because I have nowhere near $400,000 in Upwork earnings--it's more like $150,000.

But, just in case, I'll answer your question. Yes, it was pretty easy. It took a few weeks to land my first job here, but that was fine. I didn't bid on a huge number of jobs. I didn't bid on jobs unless they were a near-perfect fit for me, bypassing the vast majority of jobs I knew that I could do and do well. Since the jobs I bid on were such a great fit for my skills, I was among the best candidates for each of them and my hire rate was pretty good. 

I think that most of the people who experience the frustration you're describing are casting too wide a net and bidding far too much.

Highlighted
Community Leader
17 of 69

Oh no sorry! i was talking to Jennifer, sorry about that, well, i can tell you i have submited proposals where the client´s refference is literally the same as one item on my portfolio, for instance client said: i want an animation of a coin spinning, well i have doen two coins spinning, i submit and show it to them... nothing... i have found that, is either because it wasn´t a real thing.. or because of more than 50 other freelancers, i can tell you i started freelancers wayback when it was oDesk, and yeah it was pretty easy to land a job, and i can tell you now, it is not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 69

I don't notice any difference. I bid on a few jobs in only a couple of days, which is unusually good for me. Already found the guy pretending to be in the US and has a lot of work for me to do if I just work for cheap this time. He was so adorable thinking I'm a stereotypical desperate freelancer who would go for it.

Highlighted
Community Leader
19 of 69

Yeah, i know.

It is really easy to say that, and think that way  with numbers like yours (congrats by the way!) 400k+ total earnings??? jobs that are worth more than 4,000?? very impresive.

I see a pattern here, old freelancers vs new freelancers, see i`m stubborn, and determined to be a succesful freelancer here, and i know it wont be easy,  will have many stepbacks here and there, you great freelancers won´t never see this struggle, when you started out you started on very different conditions, yes.. you also struggled and market was hard, but times are different, what i´m saying with all this, is that Upwork should come up with some device to improve the quality of job posting, of clients, it might even the plane a little for us new freelancers to step up to the big ones like yourself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 69

Jesús Mateo R wrote:

Yeah, i know.

It is really easy to say that, and think that way  with numbers like yours (congrats by the way!) 400k+ total earnings??? jobs that are worth more than 4,000?? very impresive.

I see a pattern here, old freelancers vs new freelancers, see i`m stubborn, and determined to be a succesful freelancer here, and i know it wont be easy,  will have many stepbacks here and there, you great freelancers won´t never see this struggle, when you started out you started on very different conditions, yes.. you also struggled and market was hard, but times are different, what i´m saying with all this, is that Upwork should come up with some device to improve the quality of job posting, of clients, it might even the plane a little for us new freelancers to step up to the big ones like yourself.

nah, it's been the same song and dance for years. People have been saying this stuff since I began. My experience is no different when I started from anyone else's. Started at the very bottom. I did Elance on the side for a while before I did this full time. I didn't go full time until 2015 and I see no difference now other than I built up and now get invites due to my history here. But I still have to go into the open marketplace and deal with the fake US client, people thinking I'm stupid enough to fall for the "I have lots of work for you" and people who just want to argue with me.

It's no different anywhere else. Just had to tell someone on LinkedIn it ain't happening because an article of mine she was looking at was $1000 and her budget was $240 and I had to tell her "welp, gonna have to increase that budget then, friendo." She'll run off and find someone else I'm sure, but that's what you have to do if you want to make money in this place.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS