Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of job posts have dramatically decreased

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mateo R. S Member Since: Dec 13, 2018
31 of 69

It may be very well an issue that does not respond to the times we currently live in, but it is an issue that we all freelancers go trhough when starting out, so for you guys that have years on this, might seem repetitive, because every new freelancer says it... it IS new to us, and having no point of reference like you do, it makes us think that it has never happened before, so our mistake is to think that the world is getting crazier every minute, but you guys that have more time, maybe could cut us some slack, we´re new remember? we WILL complaint about a lot of things! lol, thank you for infoming us that this ain´t a thing that is progresively getting worse, and rather an issue that responds to the curve of getting a better freelancer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
32 of 69

Jesús Mateo R wrote:

s...  and that we freelancers should suck it and toughen up and keep moving on. So, how did you you all became a succesful freelancer?

By sucking it up, toughening up and keeping on moving. By having a business-mindset, not an employee mindset.  By selling ourselves, marketing our services, working hard.

Not by sitting in a corner wailing how hard it is.

It is hard. It is still hard and for most it will always be. Freelancing is not for entitled brats who want to sit back and wait for the nice fat offers to come flooding in.

Frankly, how DARE you claim that others had it so easy? Do you know how they got to where they are?

And even if it was easier for some than for others, that is life, right?

Instead of wasting quite so much time on entitled rage, try spending more time on getting your profile and your proposals and your portfolio to a compelling state so when a client looks at it, it sells you.

Highlighted
Community Leader
33 of 69

Dear Petra, and Amanda.
Ok, this is going places i don´t like.....

I apologize if in my behavior you guys felt attacked, or even if i DID said something rude... i respect freelancers who has years, and made a path for us new ones, i was never in the attack mode against you, as the title of the thread says, i was complaining against the clients, and not even with them, with the quality of the job posts, i have learned from this thread that that is nothing new, some clients have always been jerks, it is ONLY new to me, but JEEZ, please, relax.

I am determined to be as succesful as you all gurus are, i never said it should have been easier for you, i actually said every generation has it´s unique issues to deal with. Let me tell you something, i dont know how do you picture me, I am a man that has 10+ years on the graphic and motion business, i am married and have 2.5 kids (one on the way) i try to be nice and polite almost all the time, i am no brat kid who is complaining how things are NOT possible and blaming previous generations, that is not my thing, so please i ask you to lower your sword so we can have a healthy discussion and so that we new guys on Upwork can actually learn something from the more experienced freelancers?? thank you.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
34 of 69

I do notice a ton of jobs where no one is ever hired, so I think that is a problem. Expecially a client who has several jobs posted and zero hires and it has been weeks...

However, I do find that since I am in the US, if I filter for clients who only want US based freelancers, I don't compete with people on other coutries where $5/hr is reasonable. Are there similar filters for people in other countires?

Highlighted
Community Leader
35 of 69

It is a problem, what i have learned from this thread is that ignoring those proposals is the closest to an answer. Apply only to jobs you think are best for your skills, although many many others aslo... will apply and have the same skills, but dont worry, eventually you´ll land a job, and slowly build up your carreer..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
36 of 69

Yeah and how do you think you build your career? You build your skills and you apply to stuff you know you can do and you work hard. This stuff isn't meant to be a walk in the park. You need to work and build yourself up, how do you think the people here who have made 50k plus did it? They certainly didn't have work thrown at them! We've had to look through all of the bad jobs or use the filter, and check back often to be able to bid. We've also had to take the interviews against the competition and come out on top.

I for one have always had to work hard as a freelancer and my clients tell me what qualities they keep coming back for, and I can tell you for sure it takes time to builld your freelance business. It doesn't happen overnight. Upworks is not going to give you handouts of projects or be able to control what clients post, you have to get the good jobs yourself through good proposal writing and experience. 

A truly good freelancer, when they see the low prices they just move on and keep looking. I and many others just set the filters so we don't see the bad quality stuff because it is far better than complaining since that gets you nowhere. The quality jobs still are out there, you just keep looking and proving yourself to be the right fit. 

Low priced jobs have been around for many years and nothing has changed. The way that you think about it should be to find the diamonds in the rough rather than complaining that it should be all different. Your prespective makes a huge difference. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
37 of 69

Dear Amanda, i am not your enemy, i respect your work and history as a freelancer, i never tried to attack your status as a freelancer, if you be so kind to read the answer i gave to your comment on a previous comment here on this thread, thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
38 of 69

I actually didn't think at all you attacked me, just you should see that it is more than just the upworks system that matters to your success. It comes from personal growth and if you are doing the right stuff. Most of all it is a positive attitude and a large determination to help clients that matters and of course your skill you have. I get it, we all started somewhere and sometimes, sure, we may have complained when we started some but seeing the light is really important and the ways to improve your business. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
39 of 69

And you know what... i will complaint... and i will continue to complaint because it´s new to me!! i am pretty sure than this kinda stuff when it was new to you, you probably also had a thing or two to say about it, that doesn´t mean i am blaming the clients, the community, the freelancers, the competitors... etc.. it only means i felt frustrated about it, and tried to reach the community for help and advice, please i ask you kindly, don´t feel attacked by that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
40 of 69

Jesús Mateo R wrote:

And you know what... i will complaint... and i will continue to complaint

OK,  your choice... Do make sure to let us know how that works out for you in due course, won't you...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS