Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of job posts have dramatically decreased

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mateo R. S Member Since: Dec 13, 2018
41 of 69

I think it is healthy from time to time to let a little frustration out, i felt this was a good place to do it, and have the support of the rest of the community, like a safe place to vent form time to time, i repeat: I am not your enemy, i am not trying to attack any of you, i am trying to be nice with you, just sharing my thoughts, would you please, please stop being so deffensive? sarcasm is not a very nice way. I ask you this nicely, let´s help each other, let´s learn from each other i have learned a lot from this thread, please maybe try to also learn something from us new ones?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mateo R. S Member Since: Dec 13, 2018
42 of 69

By the way, idk if you read the entire thread, the complaints i am talking about, it´s not to other freelancers or the community, they are about stuff that the rest of the freelancers have complaint, and have been doing so since always, and i dare to think also yourself have complaint in some point of your carreer, at the beginning or whatever.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
43 of 69

Jesús Mateo R wrote:

And you know what... i will complaint... and i will continue to complaint because it´s new to me!! i am pretty sure than this kinda stuff when it was new to you, you probably also had a thing or two to say about it, that doesn´t mean i am blaming the clients, the community, the freelancers, the competitors... etc.. it only means i felt frustrated about it, and tried to reach the community for help and advice, please i ask you kindly, don´t feel attacked by that.

1) If you want to "reach the community for help and advice", then do that. Plenty of people here are very helpfull, if you actually ask them for help. Starting of with a long rant why things are so horrible for you, while other freelancers had it much easier is not the way to go. Next time, just explain what you are struggling with, and ask for advice. That way your thread will probably not turn so ugly as this one.

2) Use the quote option when replying to someone. It makes it easier to follow the discussion.

3) Starting as a freelancer is not easy for anyone. I probably had it easier than most, but still I put in a lot of work. I also reached out to this community a lot for help and advice, and I got it. (Thanks everyone!) It's all about what attitude you come in to the forum with, and how you ask for advice. I will also say that I'm glad I joined Upwork when I did, 2,5 years ago, as I do think it is harder to get started now than before. But, if it's harder or easier doesn't matter, cause you can't do anything about it. It is what it is.

Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
44 of 69

Tatyana M wrote:

However, I do find that since I am in the US, if I filter for clients who only want US based freelancers, I don't compete with people on other coutries where $5/hr is reasonable. Are there similar filters for people in other countires?

Yes, there are filters for other countries - I'm on the "UK only" one. I haven't found that it's any real advantage, though - there are still plenty of clients who want projects done for low pay, and freelancers who are willing to provide it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
45 of 69

Christine wrote:

I haven't found that it's any real advantage, though - there are still plenty of clients who want projects done for low pay, and freelancers who are willing to provide it.

UK seems to be the favourite fake location for clients who found they didn't get enough quality applicants when being honest about their real location.

You can spot them usually - their English tells a story and they start posting jobs at hours way before the average Brit has had their first cuppa.

There are are filters for other countries - I'm on the "UK only" one.

UK is the only "other."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
46 of 69

Petra R wrote:

UK is the only "other."

Really? That's interesting. You'd think that at the very least, there would be an "Australia only" option - it's quite difficult for freelancers in other parts of the world to serve that time zone.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
47 of 69

Eek. Don't give them ideas. A sizeable proportion of projects I do are for Aussies. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
48 of 69

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

UK is the only "other."

Really? That's interesting. You'd think that at the very least, there would be an "Australia only" option - it's quite difficult for freelancers in other parts of the world to serve that time zone.

I don't think time zone is the issue when clients seek out freelancers from a specific location. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
49 of 69

Tonya P wrote:

I don't think time zone is the issue when clients seek out freelancers from a specific location. 

Indeed. Setting aside the linguistic, let alone ethnic, makeup of the countries for which clients can use filters, Upwork is probably following the money. Elance was more transparent about work statistics, even though it was privately held: They said most jobs came from the US, and most hires were from within the US. I would not be surprised if that, with specific market varations, were the case for Upwork; nor if the money partly follows native English fluency.

Since it came up elsewhere in this thread, I’ll mention that below-market bidders come from all corners of the globe, including the US.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
50 of 69

Very good point Douglas!

I only look at jobs that are fashion design related. When I search for US based freelancers with the search term "fashion design", the first 5-6 pages of freelancers are charging in the $20-$100/hr+ range. However, when I search globally, there are plenty of freelancers charging $20/hr or less with good JSS and good portfolios. 

In my case, it makes sense to only seach jobs that want US based freelancers, but now I see it is not the case for all fields/specalizations. I think we will all have to be more selective when applying for jobs once the free connects stop. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS