cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about: English Level: Native or Bilingual...

Ace Contributor
Christopher D Member Since: Oct 26, 2015
1 of 11

Hello, 

This is something I've meant to ask about for some time, but kept forgetting about. 

Here's the complete text of the requirement:

"English Level: Native or Bilingual - Has complete command of this language, including breadth of vocabulary, idioms, and colloquialisms"

In the past I THINK you needed a score of 4.5 to reach this level. However, the score has been removed, so I can't be certain. 

But here's the problem...I scored 4.6 on the U.S. English Basic Skills Test (top 10%). What score are you supposed to have to reach the "Native or Billingual" level? 

I know I can submit a bid regardless, but there's no reason to waste a connect when they can see I don't meet their qualifications. 

So am I really not a native speaker, or is there something else broken with the system? If I'm not a native speaker, what score do I have to get to be considered one? 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Do you have to take the test? I never took it and I listed myself as a native.

Ace Contributor
Christopher D Member Since: Oct 26, 2015
3 of 11

Hi Jennifer, 

Thank you, and you are 100% correct. I changed the setting in my profile, and now I DO qualify for those jobs. 

Wow...I wish Upwork would have done a better job of explaining that. They don't tell you what you need to do to qualify, just that you don't qualify. 

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

lol I think this place is like 10000000000000000x more educational than the whole help docs and CS combined.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 11

@Jennifer M wrote:

Do you have to take the test? I never took it and I listed myself as a native.

Jennifer, are you not a native English speaker? 

Jennifer R Member Since: Jan 16, 2019
6 of 11

How do you do that? Where do you edit it?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 11

Christopher,

I hesitate to describe your dilemma as a problem with Upwork's language proficiency levels, because the current scheme is vastly superior to the two that preceded it. Moreover, the "native or bilingual" level has a very good functional definition of that level of competence.

On a literal level, you can't test into being a native or bilingual speaker: You either are or aren't. Upwork's tests can't measure that level as an outcome, nor will Upwork tell you what score corresponds to native or bilingual proficiency (which for what it's worth, not all native or bilingual speakers achieve as described).

In short, if you feel you can claim native competence without misleading your prospective clients, nothing prevents you from doing so, barring getting busted by a complaining client. I think the risk raised by your bringing up this question and your intentions in a public forum is slight. So it's down to your own conscientious understanding of the skill level that best describes your proficiency, given Upwork's definitions.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 11

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

In short, if you feel you can claim native competence without misleading your prospective clients, nothing prevents you from doing so, barring getting busted by a complaining client. I think the risk raised by your bringing up this question and your intentions in a public forum is slight. So it's down to your own conscientious understanding of the skill level that best describes your proficiency, given Upwork's definitions.

Christopher, as someone who has hired several dozen writers and considered hundreds, I can usually tell within a couple of sentences if someone is not a native speaker. If in fact you aren't (in the sense that English isn't your first language), your post has me fooled. 

I kind of suspect that you ARE a native speaker, and the previous system with the required test simply confused the standard. 

Jennifer R Member Since: Jan 16, 2019
9 of 11

I took the test, and scored in the top 10%, but for some reason it doesn't think I'm a native English speaker even though I am. Can I delete the test somehow?

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
10 of 11

You can always hide the results of the tests, on your profile, if you wish to keep them private.

It's not the test that's going to tell you whether you are a native speaker or not, it's your life. Basically, you are a native English speaker if you where raised by English speaking parents in a English speaking country.

I do find this "native speaker" requirement a bit unfair, as a non-native English speaker can reach a level that is very close to "native", but if you follow the rule, you either are or are not a native speaker.

I'm a translator. I translate from English (or Portuguese) into my native language, which is French. This should always be the rule, translators should translate into their native language. Now, clients, poor things, often don't know about this rule. Sometimes, they request the translator from English to French to be an English native speaker, which is an absurdity. And sometimes, when I have time and connects available, I let them know about their mistake and propose to do the translation for them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS