cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Question about Milestones

nielzor
Niels S Member Since: Feb 11, 2016
1 of 18

Hi everyone, I'm confused about milestones.

I completed a fixed price job and did the work required in the job listing. The client was happy and paid, which is great, but has now set milestone 2 for further work. I can't take on this job at the moment and would like to stop but my only options for this are to cancel the contract or to submit the work. I've explained this to the client and am waiting to hear back. Did I do something wrong with this? What are my options?

Thanks for your help.

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 18

My client would usually ask me first if I am ready for the next task before he sends me links to any of his files. If you are a client, you may ask someone to do it for you.  That way, you can continue "working" on your contract and at the same time do other things.

nielzor
3 of 18

Thank you very much for your answer. That makes a lot of sense. Now that the next milestone has been started, though, are the only options to submit more work (which is impossible) or to cancel the contract?

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
4 of 18

If you cancel the contract, you may have to face certain consequences in your JSS later on.  Some jobs require a certain JSS for us to apply.  Are you ready to take this risk?

nielzor
5 of 18

If the client cancelled the contract instead of me, would that affect the JSS?

I completed all the work required from the original job posting but as they've made this extra work "milestone 2", I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

The client mentioned after I accepted the contract that there may be more work in the future if he liked my writing. He didn't check before setting the subsequent Milestone, though. 

Thanks for all your replies. It's great to know this stuff in case I have any trouble.

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
6 of 18

That's a bit unpleasant that the client set a second milestone without asking you first. If you don't have time to work on this second task, just tell him (which you already did). I wouldn't close the contract before he replies. Since he set a second milestone, this means that there is money in escrow, so you'll have to refund it before closing the contract. If you after all are ok with the second task, yup, you can do it.

Btw, did your client mention this second task at the beginning before the contract began? Does it come as a surprise or did you expect that there could potentially be more work? Just asking... It's strange that he set you a second milestone without asking you if you're available first.

EDIT: Actually, if the contract is closed, Niels shouldn't have any negative outcome from it. He completed the first task successfully. It's that second milestone which comes forth. If he closed the contract, he'd have to refund the money for milestone 2, not the entire amount earned so far. So, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think this is a concern.

Conclusion: No, closing the contract and refunding the money in escrow for milestone 2 shouldn't affect the JSS negatively!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 18

Hi Juvi Ann,

Please note that only the OP can work on a contract he was hired for by the client and the workaround you proposed is a serious violation of Upwork policy. 

Untitled
juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
8 of 18

Isn't that what other freelancer-clients do?

Alright, I "sit" corrected again.  Even if Neils is an agency member he still cannot delegate his task to someone else and there is no way for the client not to know that he will not be doing his task.  Thanks, Vladimir, for clarifying that out.  Smiley Happy

vladag
Community Manager
9 of 18

Hi Juvi Ann,

Transitioning work to a different party without explicitly discussing it with the client and using the appropriate Upwork processes is against our policy. Users can report these violations to our team so we can review and properly address all the parties involved.

Untitled
vladag
Community Manager
BEST ANSWER
10 of 18

Hi Niels,

I see you already respectfully declined the client's offer to work on the second Milestone. If you're not looking to continue working on this contract, which looks to be the case, advise your client to go ahead and end the contract.

Once the client clicks on the "End Contract" button on the contract page, they will be prompted to confirm they would like to end the contract since Escrow is funded for the second Milestone. After confirming and clicking on the "Continue to End Contract" button, the client can check the option to refund the active Milestone and proceed with filling the feedback details and ending the contract. You will be prompted to approve the refund of Escrowed funds back to the client and leave your feedback afterwards.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Untitled

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS