🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Question about an Hourly contract
Page options
cc63080d
Community Member

Question about an Hourly contract

Hi,

Good day!

I currently have a contract of $15/hr for 5 hrs/wk. The only time that I worked for this contract was 2 weeks ago where I was able to work for 3 hours for just a day, giving me $45. I was able to resolve the issue of my client but he said that there are more jobs he'd want me to resolve for him in the future.

My contract says that I can work 5hrs/wk but since my client isn't giving me any tasks yet, I am also not gaining hours from it.

Am I violating any polices because of this? am I supposed to start the tracker even if my client does'nt have any tassks for me? I"m just worried that maybe Upwork would notice that I am not working for this job and might get suspended.

Kind regards,

Michael E.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The client messages you in Upwork's messaging tool and begins a new contract. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
robin_hyman
Community Member

Since you were already paid, there's no harm in leaving this contract open. 

Hi Robin, 

So basically, I will just have to wait for my client to give me a task so I can earn hours on this contract, correct?

Correct.

If this project went well and the client seems satisfied, you can ask the client to end the contract and contact you when there is another task. 

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your prompt response.

How would that work? Will the message be kept even if there's no contract anymore? 

i can ask him to end the contract though so I can ask feedback from him.

Yes, you can still message a client when a contract has ended and vice versa. Here is how I would handle:

"Hi [insert name]! It was a pleasure working with you on this project. If you have no immediate tasks for me, can you please end the contract and provide feedback? When you need me again, feel free to reach out to me directly"

* I don't ask for a "positive" review. If you had a good experience, the client will hopefully give you one

* "Feel free to reach out to me directly" means there's no need for the client to post the next job. Just hire me. 

Thank you for your advice Robin! I really appreciate it.

What if the client would need me again? Does he need to open another contract and provide the link to me so I can send another proposal?

The client messages you in Upwork's messaging tool and begins a new contract. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members